Sunglasses

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2010
Just curious what the opinion is out there on sunglasses.

Coach wants them off while batting, but is ok with them in the field. My thinking is that they should keep them on if they had them on in the field since their eyes may not adjust to the bright sunlight to hit. I told them, against his opinion, that they should do whatever they want as long as they are comfortable in their choice.

And how effective is eye black? I never played with either sunglasses nor eyeblack so I'd be interested in the opinion of the masses.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Well, I haven't thought about this.

If you are wearing prescription sunglasses, you certainly don't take them off to bat. :) But, I don't see many MLB players batting with sunglasses on. I never batted with sunglasses on and I don't think DD did either.

If a girl can hit, with them on, I wouldn't care, though, or if a parent told me that they wanted their DD's eyes protected from the sun, OK.

Now, I am off to look for pictures.

May 25, 2010
If the sun is in your eyes when you're in the field, then more often than not, the sun will NOT be in your eyes when you're batting.

That said, I don't know what everyone else's experiences are, but when I've gone shooting, I've found that glasses helped to 'quiet' my eyes allowing me to focus in more easily on the target. So, for me, it's a comfort measure.

Feb 9, 2009
We sometimes wear sunglasses when batting because it gets windy here, and the dirt will blow up aroung them...
I have no problem with them in the field....I'm curious what you guys think of PITCHERS wearing them....

Eye Black: my team likes to wear it because they think it makes them look tough...(they're 10)

Mar 26, 2010
DD wears Rip It mask while pitching, so she does wear sunglasses since her visor will not fit. She doesn't wear them to bat, says helmet plus sunglasses is too dark. Any sunglasses worn during softball should be shatter-proof. DD glasses have padding along the brow line and on lower edge of lenses also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877