Summer softball opportunity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I would like to play college ball but I don't know if there are other options after playing in college to play further. Career wise I'd like to either be a teacher or a coach. I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but I turn 15 in July.

In some areas of the country, there are adult fastpitch teams/leagues. These tend to be populated by ex-college players.

If your intended career path is teaching, focus on schools that serve that path best. If you can also make softball work into the equation, great, but your career path should be your priority.

As others have mentioned, all 2001 b-days are eligible to play 14U until December 31 of this year. That said, some 14U teams may elect to start playing 16U during the fall.

Mar 29, 2012
I would like to play college ball but I don't know if there are other options after playing in college to play further. Career wise I'd like to either be a teacher or a coach. I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but I turn 15 in July.

You do not have to move up to 16u in travel ball. If you are 14 on jan 1 you can still play 14u this year.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Figured I'd update you guys on what my family and I decided as far as this summer. I am going to go to Florida with my cousins. My aunt and uncle talked to the teams coach and they said they could take me on for their summer season. Their school year starts earlier than it does at my school (their school year starts in mid August… mine starts right after Labor Day). Their private coach is willing to take me on at her camp and charge my cousins and I the group rate per lesson. I'm really looking forward to the trip, seeing my family and getting to play some softball.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I really haven't thought much about getting my name out there for college recruiting. How do I go about doing that?

As far as grades I have good grades. I have a 3.5 GPA. I havent taken the SAT or ACT yet. I thought I needed to at least be a sophomore to take them?

There are different approaches to recruiting so you need to do your homework and develop a plan that works for you, but here are my suggestions for a 16U TB player who wants to play college softball.
1) Get on a TB team that plays tough competition and attends top showcases.
2) Do your research on the coaches/organizations and their experience placing girls on college teams.
3) Make a Top 10 of schools you would like to attend - 3 dream schools, 5 good fits, 2 fall back plans.
4) Make a skills video (does not need to be professional, but watch a lot of videos to get an idea of how it should flow).
5) Keep in touch with the coaches in your Top 10 - email them your tournament schedule, keep them updated how you are doing.
6) Use GoldFastpitch.com to keep up with who is verballed to your Top-10 and what positions they play.
7) Your Top-10 needs to be flexible. If a college coach shows interest in you, show interest in them - keep your options open.
8) The majority of softball scholarships are partials, so you need to be able to negotiate for what you feel is the best fit athletically, academically and financially.
9) Networking is huge between college coaches, so the more coaches you know the better off you are.
10) Do not expect your coach or the organization to do the work for you. You and your parents need to take ownership for your recruiting.

Nov 18, 2013
There are different approaches to recruiting so you need to do your homework and develop a plan that works for you, but here are my suggestions for a 16U TB player who wants to play college softball.
1) Get on a TB team that plays tough competition and attends top showcases.
2) Do your research on the coaches/organizations and their experience placing girls on college teams.
3) Make a Top 10 of schools you would like to attend - 3 dream schools, 5 good fits, 2 fall back plans.
4) Make a skills video (does not need to be professional, but watch a lot of videos to get an idea of how it should flow).
5) Keep in touch with the coaches in your Top 10 - email them your tournament schedule, keep them updated how you are doing.
6) Use GoldFastpitch.com to keep up with who is verballed to your Top-10 and what positions they play.
7) Your Top-10 needs to be flexible. If a college coach shows interest in you, show interest in them - keep your options open.
8) The majority of softball scholarships are partials, so you need to be able to negotiate for what you feel is the best fit athletically, academically and financially.
9) Networking is huge between college coaches, so the more coaches you know the better off you are.
10) Do not expect your coach or the organization to do the work for you. You and your parents need to take ownership for your recruiting.

Excellent advice! I can't overemphasize the importance of #10.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Figured I'd update you guys on what my family and I decided as far as this summer. I am going to go to Florida with my cousins. My aunt and uncle talked to the teams coach and they said they could take me on for their summer season. Their school year starts earlier than it does at my school (their school year starts in mid August… mine starts right after Labor Day). Their private coach is willing to take me on at her camp and charge my cousins and I the group rate per lesson. I'm really looking forward to the trip, seeing my family and getting to play some softball.

Sounds like you'll have a great summer. Let us know how it went!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45