Summer softball opportunity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
My family has been talking lately about what we want to do this summer as far as softball. I was originally going to attend a softball camp hosted by Penn State and play for our local travel team. However, I was talking to my cousins, who live in the Orlando, Florida area and I was saying that I'd like to work with a coach or go to a camp to improve my skills as a catcher. They said to me last night that they know of a really good coach in their area and their team needs someone to fill in to catch. I would have to leave for Florida around our school year ending. If you were in my shoes, would you stay around your home area and do the camp and travel team or go to Florida and work with the coach and play for my cousins team?

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
My family has been talking lately about what we want to do this summer as far as softball. I was originally going to attend a softball camp hosted by Penn State and play for our local travel team. However, I was talking to my cousins, who live in the Orlando, Florida area and I was saying that I'd like to work with a coach or go to a camp to improve my skills as a catcher. They said to me last night that they know of a really good coach in their area and their team needs someone to fill in to catch. I would have to leave for Florida around our school year ending. If you were in my shoes, would you stay around your home area and do the camp and travel team or go to Florida and work with the coach and play for my cousins team?

If you are not jeopardizing your grades or any other commitments, I say go for it (if family agrees). I mean...who can beat Florida in the summer time? How fun! Will be pretty hot though!! Just curious...where in Florida?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
One thing to consider is where your cousin's team will be playing. Will they be doing as high level of tournaments as your current travel team?

Also you want to be careful about burning any bridges in your home area. It's kind of late to be changing teams. Will you be leaving your current team in a bad position by going to Florida, or can they cover your absence? Some teams really only have one quality catcher and then another who takes up some innings. If that is your current team (assuming you are #1 catcher) you could be severely impairing their ability to have a good season this summer. You may also need the goodwill of those coaches or players at some point.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
One thing to consider is where your cousin's team will be playing. Will they be doing as high level of tournaments as your current travel team?

Also you want to be careful about burning any bridges in your home area. It's kind of late to be changing teams. Will you be leaving your current team in a bad position by going to Florida, or can they cover your absence? Some teams really only have one quality catcher and then another who takes up some innings. If that is your current team (assuming you are #1 catcher) you could be severely impairing their ability to have a good season this summer. You may also need the goodwill of those coaches or players at some point.

This ^^^ is great advice.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Where do you eventually want to go to school? If it is the SE then you need to get down here ASAP. If it is PA or the NE then you are probably better off with your current team.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
If you are not jeopardizing your grades or any other commitments, I say go for it (if family agrees). I mean...who can beat Florida in the summer time? How fun! Will be pretty hot though!! Just curious...where in Florida?

It wont be affecting my grades to go to Florida to play. Our school year ends the Wednesday before Memorial Day and starts back up the Monday after Labor Day. My cousins live in Kissimmiee, Florida.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate

Thank you for your advice, Ken.

I spoke with a friend that was telling me about her experience playing for a travel team. She was telling me that they don't play super high level teams. They mainly play teams based in PA, NJ, MD and NY. There had been talks of them maybe traveling to Virginia to play.

I haven't played for a.travel team… so I don't have any bridges built as far as loyalty to a team. They are starting their signups this coming weekend for the team. My birthday makes it funny because I would have to bump up my signup to play for the 16u team.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Where do you eventually want to go to school? If it is the SE then you need to get down here ASAP. If it is PA or the NE then you are probably better off with your current team.

My original dream was to play for a team out west in like California or Arizona. I have no contacts to make that happen. My practical dream would be to play for a team in like Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, The Carolinas or Tennessee. But I could also see myself playing closer to home in Maryland, Delaware or Pennsylvania where it would be easier for my parents to see me play.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Thank you for your advice, Ken.

I spoke with a friend that was telling me about her experience playing for a travel team. She was telling me that they don't play super high level teams. They mainly play teams based in PA, NJ, MD and NY. There had been talks of them maybe traveling to Virginia to play.

I haven't played for a.travel team… so I don't have any bridges built as far as loyalty to a team. They are starting their signups this coming weekend for the team. My birthday makes it funny because I would have to bump up my signup to play for the 16u team.

If you're not already committed to a team that's a different story. I just assumed because mots travel teams are selected in August of the previous year. Sounds like the Florida option might be the better option, just based on quality of play alone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeTD&Coach