Summer softball opportunity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
16U is prime time for softball recruiting, so I would recommend getting on a team that is going to play quality competition and good showcases in an area where exposure to the college coaches in your Top-10 would be maximized.

Academics also play an important role in the recruiting process, so if you have not done so already, take the ACT and/or SAT and have those score available if coaches inquire.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Do you have any other options available closer to home that might be playing a tougher schedule or some larger college showcases? If not, then go for it! The one advantage you'd have is that over Labor Day Weekend the Queen of Diamonds South Individual College showcase is going on in Orlando. If you can practice and play under a quality coach and also get some great catching instruction, then you might have a possibility of getting in and showing off your newly found position. Whatever you choose, Good Luck and keep us up to date please!

Mar 29, 2012
You mentioned your birthday being funny so you have to sign up for 16u.

In the travel world the date you care about is Jan1. If you have a 2000 birthday you have to play 16u, if you have a 2001 birthday you cna still play 14u no mater what month/day you ere born.

Ken is right if you are already commited to a travel team then leaving them in a lurch could hurt you locally where you will eventually come back. If you are uncommited look at both teams and see what schedule they play,are any in showcases ect. You sound like you are open to college just about anywhere so you really want to think about what level you think you will play and get in front of those coaches. If you think there is agood possibilty you will play d2, d3, naia then there are lots of showcases in PN, OH that have lots of those coaches there. If you strictly want power 5 D1 you better get on a nationaly recognized organizations team so you get to the major showcases.

Another thing to look at is playing time. If the florida team just needs a fill in then you may go to bigger tournaments but just sit the bench 80% of the time and it may not be worth it when you could get a lot more playing time opn your local team.

There are some good teams in PA don't be fooled into thinking you have to be on a team from CA, FL, or TX to play in college, especially if you are down to play D2, D3, or NAIA as Ohio, PA, IN, MI have tons of D2, D3, NAIA schools.
PA Outlaws, Pittsburgh Power, Pittsburgh Riot

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
16U is prime time for softball recruiting, so I would recommend getting on a team that is going to play quality competition and good showcases in an area where exposure to the college coaches in your Top-10 would be maximized.

Academics also play an important role in the recruiting process, so if you have not done so already, take the ACT and/or SAT and have those score available if coaches inquire.

I really haven't thought much about getting my name out there for college recruiting. How do I go about doing that?

As far as grades I have good grades. I have a 3.5 GPA. I havent taken the SAT or ACT yet. I thought I needed to at least be a sophomore to take them?

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
Do you have any other options available closer to home that might be playing a tougher schedule or some larger college showcases? If not, then go for it! The one advantage you'd have is that over Labor Day Weekend the Queen of Diamonds South Individual College showcase is going on in Orlando. If you can practice and play under a quality coach and also get some great catching instruction, then you might have a possibility of getting in and showing off your newly found position. Whatever you choose, Good Luck and keep us up to date please!

Penn State has our state's largest camp for softball. There are other smaller camps. I think there's one in Scranton and another in the Philadelphia area.

According to my cousins the team that we would play for doesn't go out of state and is structured more like a rec team. The coach we would be working with has her own camp and has a, lot of accolades from people she's worked with.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
What are your goals here? I see you responded to the college question but never really brought it up on your own. Is college the end goal here? I think people jump to that conclusion because a lot of people on this board play/coach/are parents at a high level of softball. In no way am I saying don't pursue that goal if that is the dream... but is it actually what you want to do?

Part of the reason I ask is because you say you are in 16u this year and have never played travel ball before. Have you seen the level of play and is that a level you feel you are ready for?

If college is the end goal by all means pursue it. But there is nothing wrong deciding what is going to create a more fun summer for you now, as an (almost?) 16 year old. Believe me, college softball is a ton of fun... but it isn't everything.

Nov 18, 2013
If your goal is to play in college I would encourage you to find a travel team as soon as possible. Just make sure they have strong coaching and play a competitive schedule. Do your homework whether it’s the team with your cousin or one closer to home. There have been several posts here on what to look for in a travel team. There’s also people here that would be happy help if you have further questions.

The Penn State camp would be a good experience, but for training something with more one on one time would be more beneficial. Since you’ve never played travel ball if you’re looking at a camp for exposure a smaller school might have greater opportunities. Best of luck in your recruiting journey!

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
What are your goals here? I see you responded to the college question but never really brought it up on your own. Is college the end goal here? I think people jump to that conclusion because a lot of people on this board play/coach/are parents at a high level of softball. In no way am I saying don't pursue that goal if that is the dream... but is it actually what you want to do?

Part of the reason I ask is because you say you are in 16u this year and have never played travel ball before. Have you seen the level of play and is that a level you feel you are ready for?

If college is the end goal by all means pursue it. But there is nothing wrong deciding what is going to create a more fun summer for you now, as an (almost?) 16 year old. Believe me, college softball is a ton of fun... but it isn't everything.

I would like to play college ball but I don't know if there are other options after playing in college to play further. Career wise I'd like to either be a teacher or a coach. I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but I turn 15 in July.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
I would like to play college ball but I don't know if there are other options after playing in college to play further. Career wise I'd like to either be a teacher or a coach. I'm not sure if this is relevant or not but I turn 15 in July.

Professional softball is pretty thin and not something I would count on unless you are the best of the best of the best of the best.

Luckily its easy(ier) for teachers to coach, especially at the high school level because your day aligns with the student athletes day. Good luck with that!

Confused why you need to play 16u if you are turning 15 this year. I assume that makes you an '01 birthday meaning you should be eligible for 14u. Every league I know of goes by how old you are January 1 and you play that level for the whole year, so you were 14. You may be playing in a different league I have never heard of though.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Penn State has our state's largest camp for softball. There are other smaller camps. I think there's one in Scranton and another in the Philadelphia area.

According to my cousins the team that we would play for doesn't go out of state and is structured more like a rec team. The coach we would be working with has her own camp and has a, lot of accolades from people she's worked with.

If you're looking to play in college you want to be on a team that plays at a high level and goes to tournaments - especially showcase tournaments as others have suggested. If the Florida team is structured like a rec team and playing in a league rather than tournaments it may not be the right option for you given your goals. If they are playing tournaments, look at the level of tournament - A versus B versus C. You want to be playing in A tournaments. If the local travel team does those you will probably be better off playing for them.

As far as getting training, check around to see if there are any coaches at local colleges, or private instructors, who can train your catching skills. Maybe even a college player if she knows her stuff. Also check on whether the New England Catching Camps will have any clinics reasonably near you. They will give you great training for the investment of a weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid