Sudden Swing vs Get To Your Spot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Sorry maybe I don't understand the use of "float" in this thread. Feel free to show an example of both.
They both get to their spot and both are sudden imo. It don't think its a you have to do one or the other.

Somewhat exaggerated "float" at least what I think of when hearing the term.

Vs a more "traditional" swing

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Is this considered launch from the float position ? This is what I call rear leg/slip the hip at launch.

WJJbQns.gif

Jun 8, 2016
Those who are being called floaters just seem to have a longer sequence, eg start their gather earlier in the pitcher’s motion. Most of them probably leg lift a bit but you could probably find no-striders who could be defined as floaters using that definition (Chamberlain maybe?)

Aug 20, 2017
They both get to their spot and both are sudden imo. It don't think its a you have to do one or the other.

Somewhat exaggerated "float" at least what I think of when hearing the term.

Vs a more "traditional" swing

Yes on these. The “floaters” seem to stay back longer and get less weight into front foot. The “get to your spot” hitters seem to have weighted the front foot more. Wondering which would be best for adjustability? May just be a style thing. Floaters would “seem” to be more adjustable imo.

Floater
8BC2D571-3F0A-42DF-AA10-69ECCBFEB238.gif

Get to your spotter (lol)
E3F07947-2BCA-4BF6-BE36-55E79599BC81.gif

Oct 2, 2017
Those who are being called floaters just seem to have a longer sequence, eg start their gather earlier in the pitcher’s motion. Most of them probably leg lift a bit but you could probably find no-striders who could be defined as floaters using that definition (Chamberlain maybe?)
Beat me to it. I was going to say just because a player doesn't leg kick or barely picks up or even no stride doesn't mean that they aren't "floating". All of them are simply timing weight shift. It's just like Ruth said my weight is on one foot then when I swing my weight goes to the other foot.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Yes on these. The “floaters” seem to stay back longer and get less weight into front foot. The “get to your spot” hitters seem to have weighted the front foot more. Wondering which would be best for adjustability? May just be a style thing. Floaters would “seem” to be more adjustable imo.

Floater
View attachment 25306

Get to your spotter (lol)
View attachment 25307

Although the front foot may be weighted some the rear leg/hip relationship is still in tact. When you say floaters may be more adjustable is this in regards to attempting to cover the whole zone ? Getting to your spot dynamically (hitting position) is adjustable as in turn on it or go the other way. If hitters are getting to there spot early but are unable to adjust ( drive the other way) they are sequencing wrong. Done correctly it feels like your almost cheating due to the time you have to launch the swing.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Beat me to it. I was going to say just because a player doesn't leg kick or barely picks up or even no stride doesn't mean that they aren't "floating". All of them are simply timing weight shift. It's just like Ruth said my weight is on one foot then when I swing my weight goes to the other foot.
Or like Ted said

jknTyMu.png

AlalH0c.png

ToleUTV.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877