Substituting on a competitive team.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
DD joined a competitive team last fall, first year 14U B. Shortly after HC asks me to join coaching staff. Good staff and a good group of players. During the fall season, and I assume prior seasons as well, HC substituted in such a way that all players received equal playing time (similar to rec ball). There were some close games last fall that late in the game, we did not have our best nine on the field due to the equal playing time philosophy. Last evening HC called a coaches meeting to discuss winter practice and solicited feedback on any changes that should be considered for the spring season. Another assistant coach suggested the players compete for starting positions and those not awarded starting status are "subs". The role of a sub would be to fill in starter positions based upon the game situation. Blowouts (us blowing the other team out or vise versa), the subs will see more action. Close games, the sub may see little or no action. Basically the other assistant was asking the HC to start and field the best team that gives us the best chance to win.

How does your competitive team handle substitutions and playing time for your non-starting players?

How many innings do your non-starters usually see in a game?

Do you have any substituting strategies?

Are there ever games where your subs do not play? If so, how do they and their parents handle it?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
If it is 14UB, everyone needs to play.

If it was a competitive 14UA, best players play on Sunday. That can change based on how the player did in pool games. On an A team, a player may see limited action on Sunday-an inning. But they must understand their role on the team. A coach must communicate well with the player about her role. At 14, the parent needs to stay out of it.

At 14UB, I had a small roster, rotated starters, only played NSA, USSSA which allowed EP's. If they are playing B, they are playing to get better and make an "A" team or they really love the game.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
Agree with pride....b level everyone plays. Our TB coach ensures you play and everyone sits at some point. He likes to have them play a whole game to rather than switching after so many innings...although he occasionally does that. He uses pool play to get more time in for some...and to sit some of the better ones.

As a parent...i would refuse at B level to spend the kind of money i do...to go watch my kid sit on the bench for a whole tournament. If it was competitive A and I knew she was low on the totem pole. I would probably view that differently.

Jul 1, 2010
I think once you move out of Rec into Travel you put the best on the field based on what the player shows in practice, unless you have an explicit agreement otherwise at the start of the season. Otherwise, what is the motivation to work harder. JMO

Jun 22, 2008
Pool play is where everyone gets playing time. For eliminations, put your best team on the field.

Jun 18, 2010
Everyone will play... the question is how much, and when. Most tournaments we have played bat roster, so time at the plate is a given. Say an average pool game lasts 3-4 innings (for a 60 min time limit) and a bracket game lasts 4-6 innings (for a 75 min time limit), do you try and get the non-starter X innings per game? If the game is meaningful and close do they get fewer innings?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
In the fall, you need to use those games to find out what you have and what you need to work on to get ready for the spring and summer. If you played the "best" 9 all the time in the fall, I can almost certainly guarantee you that in the spring you would be left with only those 9. The subs would figure it out pretty quickly and find another team.

At 14B, your responsibility as a coach is to develop all of your players, so to say that the top 9 always start and the rest sit until you know you are going to win is very short-sighted. You need to have several players available to play key positions in the event of injury, which happens more often as kids get older. When playing multiple games per weekend, you need to have interchangeable parts, especially if you are going to be playing 3 or more games in a day in 90+ degree heat in July. The best way to accomplish that is to get the girls plenty of practice and plenty of playing time on Saturday. I agree that Sunday you put the best 9 out there, and I usually put the best 9 from that particular Saturday out there on Sunday, not a predetermined group of "starters". In TB, you have to learn to manage your team through the entire tournament, not just one game at a time. It sounds like your HC understands this, and used the fall to get the "less skilled" players important experience in close games. This will ultimately help you in the summer. If you are out to try and win meaningless close games in the fall with the same 9 players on the field all the time, you will find it hard to compete in the spring and summer when you are missing a key player from injury or other outside commitment.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I do not think playing time is equal but it is a long season and you are going to need the “bench” players to win some games for you. You need to work them in when you can and in critical situations.

Sep 17, 2009
This isn't professional ball; no coach will lose their job if they don't win. I'm not saying play to lose, but at almost every level short of high school varsity ball and the very top levels (and this is arguable) of 16A/18A/Gold the focus should be on player development--players can't develop if they don't play.

I realize many may disagree : >

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I agree with pridesfb and the other comments...

In travel ball, if a child isn't playing enough, the child will quit. If you lose a player, then you potentially can have even more problems if one of your better players gets hurt.

Generally:

Friendly games: Play the lower level players first, and have your better players sit.
Pool play: Play them equally.
Elimination games: Play your better players first.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan