Struggling to throw strikes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2018
@ambern11 there are some good suggestions here for sure. There are always ways to tweak certain areas but sometimes really not needed.

Based on what you said that she is basically really on and then really off at times (not your words but my take away) I am going to make far different suggestion.

Feel free to ignore or try. Completely up to you....And I could point out several things like others but overall I think she is doing alot of great things for her age. Would be hesitant to change much is my point but try this if you want to.

Have her look at the cathers glove the whole pitch, every pitch, and even more when she get's tired. From the start of the pitch to the end of the pitch tell her not to take her eyes off the catcher's glove (or whatever spot she is supposed to throw to).

From your video, she starts looking at the catcher, then changes her view to the ground (maybe looking where to land IDK) then back to the catcher. I have seen MANY top notch pitchers that do the same I promise and it doesn't cause any issues. My oldest did the same thing but it worked for her. However, as the game goes on, she get's a little bit tired, she likely is looking back at the catcher later and later and is off especially at that age.

Simply say.... trust your mechanics..... keep your eyes focused on your spot, do not look at your landing spot, the WHOLE pitch and see if that makes a difference.

Very simple to do, no mechanical changes at all, and might work. I stress "might" but would try that first. Just my initial thoughts.

Good luck and please let us know if you try it and the results!

S3

She ALWAYS looks down....and then denies it....it makes me crazy lol. I can't wait to tell her this suggestion, maybe she will believe me if it comes from someone else!

Nov 25, 2012
USA
She ALWAYS looks down....and then denies it....it makes me crazy lol. I can't wait to tell her this suggestion, maybe she will believe me if it comes from someone else!
good luck with it. Maybe it will work maybe it won't but I hope it does. Tell her eye of the tiger or something like that to keep her eyes up. I think it might help! If it doesn't, then perhaps some mechanical issues but when you say she starts well and then struggles later I look for other things outside of mechanics. Best of luck and report back please!

S3

Mar 20, 2015
If she is not losing control in practice then your first instinct that its mental fatigue is most likely whats happening. First year 12U is difficult. Put her in situations where you are up early and let her pitch out the game to build confidence. They also have to learn not to spiral after throwing a few bad pitches and know that they can come back. This can happen when down in the count or starting to load the bases.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
Just to reiterate the point about the foot...
Left pic looks really solid to me, (could nitpick a couple things, but nothing that I think is super impactful)
Right pic - visualize how her posture would change if that back foot were rotated to be more on toe. The hip would be a little taller, closer to 45deg, closer to the ball, the knee more forward, and energy more directed into the ball (because it's not slowing her down). I know you said that's crept back in, but most bang for the buck - go after that.
Aside from the backswing, her "wobbly arm path" is her trying to get around her hips. See the path of the ball in relation to her body between these two stills. I know girls can get scared of hitting themselves on the leg with the ball. But there is almost no possible way if you're in correct posture with a palm up position behind (which she is on the left) to hit yourself with the ball. The body doesn't move in a way that supports it. You might get a 'blocking' effect like Monica Abbott does, but I am all for that. (Sometimes tell the girls this is why you need to always wear your seatbelt.)
1621613979311.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA