strikeouts or putting the ball in play--the mental appraoch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 8, 2008
I agree, but it also begs the question: Did she have to throw the drop or did the battery manipulate the sequence so that was the pitch that got the job done? Obviously, some of both, but I will go out on a limb and say that more often than not the sequence was manipulated to that end.

Cat, at least through her college career, was almost certainly a strike ‘em all out pitcher if for no other reason than her team couldn’t score runs – not to mention her stats. And that more often than not the drop was the one that was going to get you.

Which brings me back to my original point that the strikeout vs. putting the ball in play argument is too simplistic?

My question is can calling pitches for a desired outcome handicap the pitcher?

Say you’re calling pitches for Osterman with bases loaded, one out, tie game in the bottom of the seventh and Bustos at the plate. You need a strikeout or a ground ball. Do you call pitches for one result or the other? Or, are you better off letting each pitch dictate what the next pitch should be?

Attachments

• chaley 10-08-2009 0007.jpg
    chaley 10-08-2009 0007.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 36
  • chaley 10-08-2009 0001.jpg
    chaley 10-08-2009 0001.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 30
  • chaley 10-08-2009 0002.jpg
    chaley 10-08-2009 0002.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 28
  • chaley 10-08-2009 0003.jpg
    chaley 10-08-2009 0003.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 28
May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I agree, but it also begs the question: Did she have to throw the drop or did the battery manipulate the sequence so that was the pitch that got the job done? Obviously, some of both, but I will go out on a limb and say that more often than not the sequence was manipulated to that end.

Cat, at least through her college career, was almost certainly a strike ‘em all out pitcher if for no other reason than her team couldn’t score runs – not to mention her stats. And that more often than not the drop was the one that was going to get you.

Which brings me back to my original point that the strikeout vs. putting the ball in play argument is too simplistic?

My question is can calling pitches for a desired outcome handicap the pitcher?

Say you’re calling pitches for Osterman with bases loaded, one out, tie game in the bottom of the seventh and Bustos at the plate. You need a strikeout or a ground ball. Do you call pitches for one result or the other? Or, are you better off letting each pitch dictate what the next pitch should be?

What you are asking gets to the core of the issue. In your scenario, it should be weighing the situation. What did Bustos see last at bat, what is she looking for, what is working for you, what is the umpire calling, etc. It's not a simple equation. I also always allude to the idea of throwing out of the strike zone. There are situations where throwing to a location trumps other things if the batter will swing at pitches out of the zone. Good control pitchers have the luxury of tempting the batter with pitches that may be outside what one would normally throw in a ground ball or strike out situation. If I am Osterman, and pitching to Bustos, I am looking for a ground ball first. If during the at bat I think I can get a pop up or a strike out, I'd go for it.

Aug 8, 2008
I am pitching to put myself in a favorable position. I want my first pitch to give me several options for my second vs. leading to a result. I know what I want to avoid, but that isn't much different than what I want to avoid on any at bat - it's just intensified in this situation. I can think of many ways to go about it, but for fun I'll pick one. My first pitch is a drop curve low and in off the plate. I am willing to go 1-0 on the first pitch. Why did I call this? Is there a better choice?

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
I am pitching to put myself in a favorable position. I want my first pitch to give me several options for my second vs. leading to a result. I know what I want to avoid, but that isn't much different than what I want to avoid on any at bat - it's just intensified in this situation. I can think of many ways to go about it, but for fun I'll pick one. My first pitch is a drop curve low and in off the plate. I am willing to go 1-0 on the first pitch. Why did I call this? Is there a better choice?

Here's where your logic has a little shortcoming. If the first pitch leads to the second pitch and so on, what wil be the last pitch and when? Why can't the first pitch be the last pitch? Each pitch must stand alone, although there would be times when a pitch has a separate purpose, which may be nothing other than setting up a future pitch.

Aug 8, 2008
The first pitch can be the last pitch. The last pitch is the one that resolves the at bat. As I said before, I would like to resolve the at bat in 4 or less pitches. If it takes more so be it. In the hypothetical case, I called the drop curve for several reasons - one reason was if Bustos put it in play she would likely hit it out front and rolling over some producing a ground ball. But, that was not specifically why I called it.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
** So FUENTES, leads American League in SAVES this year is told to INTENTIONALY WALK A-ROD! Obviously his manager and team have confidence, but they CLEARLY are playing SITUATIONAL...... NOT PRIDE , its not a matter of PRIDE - Its a matter of being smart. (Walked tying run to get to potential lead/winning run!)
what does that tell the pitcher? We're just being smart

Aug 8, 2008
What does it tell the pitcher?

What happened: walk, hit-by-pitch and the bases loaded with the tying run at third and a 3-2 count. Not looking too smart at that point. While it eventually worked out it was a calculated risk.

After getting two outs the AL save leader follows up the intentional walk by putting two on and came close to walking the tying run home: How did the pitcher take the decision?

It appears he pitched not to lose - a dangerous mindset in any situation.

For the most part this situation is outside the strikeout vs. putting the ball in play discussion because the pitcher didn’t pitch to A-rod. But, it did have an effect on the pitcher’s mental approach to the next three batters and arguably to his disadvantage.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
batsics1: you are dead on and during his post-game interview, he commented that he did NOT want to walk A-ROD, but to go after him, thus the mindset of a pitcher! Tough and confident. He followed the coaches decision but had the mental attitude/confidence he could get the out!

May 4, 2009
Baltimore
Discretion is the beter part of valor. Sometimes as a pitcher you don't let certain guys beat you. You got to let go of your ego. The stuff that came after the walk had nothing to do with the walk. If it did, shame on the pitcher. He is a major leaguer and that's what he does for a living. No excuse.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
in MY BIASED eyes, I was HOPING he would lose control for ONE more batter... praying for a ball to the backstop! ( I didn't have a lot of confidence in Swish getting a hit.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad