Strike/Ball Ratiol

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
strike/ball ratio is not very meaningful

strike outs/walks (or commonly K/BB) is what you want to track, I think?
a ratio of 2/1 is the minimum you are striving for there.

To your point, if you work the strike/ball and first strike ratio I have found that the K/BB ratio takes care of itself.

Mar 1, 2015
Makes me think of what's better a 3 pitch inning or a 9 pitch inning?

Overall I think you need to look at pitching stats objectively. A high K to BB ratio is great for a strikeout pitcher. A pitcher who induces lots of ground balls can be just as effective. ERA is another on that can be overvalued on its own. We’ve all seen pitchers give up 3-4 run after an inning is extended by errors that don’t show up in their ERA’s. My favorite are “unearned” HR’s. That’s saved DD’s ERA a few times 

Just be clear, strike/ball ratio is different than strikeout/walk ratio. I don't think Ks are as important as some make them out to be. And as you mentioned the girl who gets ground balls is just as effective.

I love seeing the lead off batter hit the first pitch and an easy GB to second, and next batter pop out on the next pitch, followed by a strikeout in three pitches after, for a total of five pitches...but all of us parents want to see that "Golden Innng". Nine pitches, nine strikes. We've gotten to seven in a row before, getting that 9-for-9 is tough.

FWIW, I think the biggest stat is WHIP.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Just be clear, strike/ball ratio is different than strikeout/walk ratio. I don't think Ks are as important as some make them out to be. And as you mentioned the girl who gets ground balls is just as effective.

I love seeing the lead off batter hit the first pitch and an easy GB to second, and next batter pop out on the next pitch, followed by a strikeout in three pitches after, for a total of five pitches...but all of us parents want to see that "Golden Innng". Nine pitches, nine strikes. We've gotten to seven in a row before, getting that 9-for-9 is tough.

FWIW, I think the biggest stat is WHIP.

K's become important when the runner gets to 3rd base with less than 2 outs. :)

Aug 6, 2013
Some believe the pitchers job is to strike everyone out. Others believe its to get outs. This could be a thread on its own.

A pitchers job is to put the ball in play and keep the offense from gaining a base by what ever means they can -

I like strike outs but they're time consuming and take a lot of pitches (I was going to say But you cant have an error on a strike out but I know thats not true I saw it plenty of times in 10U) - so a slow roller to 2b is nice and a pop up to right just to keep everyone engaged is what I like to see.