Still no dads, to catch these girls.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 13, 2013
that is sad.. I'm post op ACL only a couple months during spring season and was out there helping with whatever I could during games and practices.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I am not sure why it is for you Amy - it is almost totally dads on the bucket here in South Florida (or they bring in the catchers from their travel team).

I would say it is 10 dads for every 1 mom.

Personally I love it on the bucket. Love spending time with my DD. Also last time my DW tried to catch for my DD they didn't speak to each other for two weeks.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The first little girl, this morning, will need someone working with her, every day. The second little girl (they are both 10) had a brother, ready to help, plus they have put up a catch net for her.

I need to put together a pamphlet, on how to practice, when you are on your own.

The second little girl's mom, as I begin to instruct and get "A" away from the hello elbow - said "I thought so. I just knew the league wasn't teaching her right. It just didn't make sense to me. So, we went looking for a different method." She, then, mentioned a D1 pitcher's mom that is teaching the HE, to the league girls.

Success, one girl at a time.

Dec 11, 2010
I hate to miss a lesson. Its too much fun to miss. I'll catch dd and sometimes pc until the cows come home. Pc still loves to pitch and everybody learns from it. We have a blast.

While I like to catch,, I prefer my 15 year old catch my 11 year old. Why? Because she sees the ball much better next time she hits. I'm a firm believer on that one. One of the best "hitting lessons" you can get.

Last edited:
May 8, 2012
NJ
Westwind...I noticed that this year..DD just made the switch to left on the offseason..LL asked her to catch this year, so we did. I think it made the transition so much better since we had a nice little pitcher with 3 pitches. I truly believe it helped DD a lot. She became smarter on what to expect and when, and slowly began to realize what was being thrown from the release. Still have to do something with the pitches you get in the box, but knowledge is power.

Nov 14, 2011
I try to catch my DD as much as I can. For me it is a way of spending quality time with her. She won't be pitching much longer. Every day on the bucket is a good day for me. Our pitching coach actually prefers to catch her students. She says it is easier for her to see the ball and to watch the spins on the different pitches. I have taken many of balls off the shins and feet. I am sporting a great bruise on my left foot as I type this. Hurt like hell when it happened 2 weeks ago!

I do see that when it is very hot out that the PC can't do everything. Parents need to do as much as they can to accommodate the PC and make the lesson beneficial for both. I have tried to get one of our 3 catchers on our travel team to catch, they are always "too busy".

Do you have rec league catchers that are interested in getting better, we have a pitching coach the league hires once a week for group lessons, I asked our catcher to come catch while the pitching coach worked with the pitcher I stood right next to the catcher and talked to her about framing pitches, footwork and once the pitcher was at full speed I went behind the pitcher to 2B distance and had her start throwing down every fourth or fifth pitch. Afterwords, even though this was her second year catching she said "thanks coach no ne every took the time to actually teach me this stuff" Even if you only spent 5 or 10 minutes of an hour pitching lesson working with the catcher it would be worth their time to get in the extra work.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh....don't let the bucket dads know but every now and then it might be good to get some time away and work without dad in their ear....but given the alternative I would take the great bucket dads any day over the dads who can't make it.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Amy,

my DD is finishing up her 2nd year of Gold ball as a catcher. For the past 2-3 years she's made some decent money catching for pitchers at their lessons. She charges $10/ hr to catch a lesson. Several pitching coaches have posted flyers for her or given out her cell number.

I bet you can find someone similar near you. It's great money for a high schooler (those cars need gas).

BTW - she never charges if it's a teammate's lesson.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I do encourage the team catcher to come. These girls are basically 12 years old. I have seen a catcher come, maybe 2-3 times. Needless to say, these little girls don't know how to catch (rec league) and then, they resist any attempt I make to make them better.

Yes. When I can no longer catch, I will need to hire or bribe someone.

Last summer, my niece was here. And the girls were really impressed how much better their pitching was, with a great catcher.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
My DGD's catching instructor is also a good pitching instructor. Anytime he needs a catcher, he just gives her a call. She has caught from D1 pitchers, to 8U pitchers and she loves every moment of it. She loves helping out and will "correct" some of the younger pitchers before the instructor has a chance. Plus it gives her a chance to practice and get in better shape.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom