stay or go

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2013
I'm sure I'm not the only one that's been in this situation....help.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2013
There is not an easy answer but, if this girl (your DD?) wants to pitch and is not getting many innings it is a bad situation.

Are these current pitchers guaranteed their positions (i.e. Coaches DDs, friends of coaches DDs)?

Assuming it is a "fair fight" for pitching time, if these girls throw that fast at the 10U level then that might be all they need to dominate. A "fair" coach will probably go ahead and just pitch them.

In the future it becomes more than just throwing fast. A good pitcher has finesse, smarts, can hit spots, change speeds, and make the ball move. This will eventually win out.

Tough decision, but I hope that I gave you a few things to consider.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
i have an unusual take on this. Pretty much all first year 12 U pitchers are in for a rude awakening from their 10U strikeout glory days. So the gap will narrow. However, I think being the #3 pitcher with the lowered expectations can be a really good thing for this age. AS LONG AS SHE GETS ENOUGH CIRCLE TIME TO DEVELOP!!! And by that I mean one game each three game friendly and a pool game in tourneys.

The benefit to this is while the other pitchers HAVE to hold the fort down, the lowered expectations on your DD allows her to experiment and work in her next two pitches (which should be the drop, then the rise)....So by the second year, when her speed catches up more to be more effective she goes into it with more of a game ready arsenal...

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Additional considerations...

By 12U @ 40 feet, the catchers will catch the faster pitchers...non-issue IMO

Not all girls that pitch at 10U (even if they are very successful) continue to pitch as they move up...our organization has 4 girls I can think of that were very solid 10U pitchers but stopped after 12U because they weren't willing to put in the extra work and\or they were stronger at another position and decided to focus on that...does your DD or would the other 2 pitchers potentially fall into this? Do the other 2 P's have a 2nd and\or 3rd pitch they are working on? Speed will become an issue next year with the bigger ball and moving to 40'...1st year 12U pitchers can take a beating against 2nd year teams (my 11U team fits that description)...

How would you rate the coaching?

How are the practice\game facilities?

What's the chemistry like on the team with the girls? With the parents?

Are there other teams in your area where your DD would be a good fit? Do they play A/B/C tournaments? Does your current team play A/B/C tournaments? Play against the best competition you can IMO...beating up on hapless, poorly coached teams is NOT making your DD better in the circle, in the field or at bat.

My long winded point: IMO there should be more to your decision other than just circle time...so what if you move to a new team and the same thing happens, do you just keep moving her?

Good coaching and good team chemistry can go a long way in keeping the experience fun...CP

Mar 21, 2013
I don't know where you are located, but have the coach come play some travel ball in So Cal for the fall. That should change his thinking a bit. Hard and straight comes back at ya' hard and straight! It doesn't last long around here in that circle. The harder they throw it, the harder they hit it. Even at 10's you need some movement and a good change up.

Other than that, the bottom line is pitchers need game circle time period. There is no substitute! Not to be mean, but the question is does she want more circle time or do you? If she is a number 3, and wants more circle time, it sounds like the writing is on the wall. Unfortunately, some coaches never change their thought process or adjust, and in that case it may be time to move on. If that is your choice though, and your team is good and you like it, stay put until you find something else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24