Spin Rate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
Rick, you'll understand this or be able to explain it better than me but...we often talk about a typical fastball having a 1 to 7 spin as seen from both above the ball or from the catcher's perspective. As the spin starts moving to a 2 to 8 you can see that the clock reference on axis spin direction only works when imagining the axis from above. A bullet spin is 3 to 9 axis when seen from above as the ball moves through space. But, when talking about a curve axis you'll have to switch the clock reference back to the catcher's perspective again. I would think a RH pitcher is looking for a 10 to 4 axis as seen from the catcher's perspective and when seen or imagined from above you see the clock reference doesn't work. I think I'm over thinking but seems to be true.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Rick, you'll understand this or be able to explain it better than me but...we often talk about a typical fastball having a 1 to 7 spin as seen from both above the ball or from the catcher's perspective. As the spin starts moving to a 2 to 8 you can see that the clock reference on axis spin direction only works when imagining the axis from above. A bullet spin is 3 to 9 axis when seen from above as the ball moves through space. But, when talking about a curve axis you'll have to switch the clock reference back to the catcher's perspective again. I would think a RH pitcher is looking for a 10 to 4 axis as seen from the catcher's perspective and when seen or imagined from above you see the clock reference doesn't work. I think I'm over thinking but seems to be true.

Out of curiosity, what would you expect for the spin orientation of a drop ball? I expect pretty much the same spin orientation.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Idle thought. It's hard to compare spin rates without bringing in spin axis into the discussion. One of my girls was hitting 22rps on the RevFire but her axis was close to a bullet spin. Depending on the pitch you've got to factor in axis when trying to understand effectiveness of spin rates. Truthfully though, after you've seen and caught enough girls who can really pitch you'll never need a RevFire. You can hear the seams gripping the air, you can see the movement from one plane to another. A six-to-twelve drop ball coming in at 18-20rps will beat a 1-to-7 drop ball spinning at 22 plus.

Actually, depending on the situation more often than not I would take the 1-7/22 over the 6-12/18-20.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
I'm betting some smart math guy could come up with an equation that factors: RPS, Axis and MPH on a given pitch for effectiveness. Even mph has an effect on movement for a given RPS and axis orientation. If a pitch is 22rps and traveling 60mph and a 12 to 6 spin axis it will have a predictable drop providing the release angle stays consistent. If she hits 65mph and everything else stays the same then the movement will be less yet reaction time for the batter will decrease. Maybe a net gain of zero for either pitch against the other. I caught a PC back in the nineties who only threw about 55mph but could spin that ball like no other. Had his the spin rate stayed the same but increased his speed to 65mph, I imagine those different pitches would have flattened out considerably. I'll never forget an old Nolan Ryan adage: Good hitting is about timing, good pitching is about destroying that timing. Vary the speed, change planes, location location location.

May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
I think a 12 to 6 is ideal just like a 6 to 12 is ideal for a riseball. If a girl is hitting 1 to 7 on her fastball and she's hitting somewhere around 20rps I'm sure she's getting good movement and her FB is now her DB.

FFS, I certainly don't claim to be a pitcher, I know I'm not. I also know I'm not even remotely in the class as a PC with many serial posters on this board. That being said, Rick Pauly has a pretty good video on how to throw a drop ball. I can throw a nice 18rps 1 to 7 fastball with a super sharp stripe, no wiggle, 52 mph tops. Watching Rick's video I learned that at plant, if I hinge my waist and lean forward slightly at release--my stripe will go to a pure 12 to 6. It can be done. I tried to get my number one to try it but, we're just too late in the game for her. The 1 to 7 is more than effective and our time is better spent elsewhere.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06