speed vrs accuracy for a 10u pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2012
My DD started pitching about 6 months ago after bugging me for about a year. I finally said ok but you have to work at pitching daily. I took her to a pitching coach. After about 4 lessons and not practicing at home I said thats it. She started throwing every other day with me at home for about the last 2 months and she has gotten quite good. If she doesn't throw her hardest she throws alot of strikes. She actually got three innings with her travel team in the champ game last weekend( no defensive help). She can throw it hard but but loses some control. There is my question. Speed or accuracy? She will be playing middle school ball this year and they need a pitcher. This will be 6th,7th, and 8th graders. Her pitches are going to get hammered by the older girls unless she finds some speed. She is going to a pitching coach this afternoon but I noticed something she is doing that can't be good. Her drag foot is digging ditches not marking the dirt but 3inch deep drag marks. Any advice on this?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Without seeing her form, its hard to give a clear-cut suggestion. Usually, form is the priority. A byproduct of good form is speed. Practicing good form results in control. In my opinion, form is being sacrificed if the speed is clearly below her potential. The more one focuses on control without solid mechanics, the harder it will be to correct.

Again, the ditch concern is hard to address for the same reason.

May 28, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I also was thinking speed also. Her pitching coach just called and canceled for today, cant see her till next week. Its hard for me to see her form behind the plate catching. It was told to me that it sounds like she is stepping then dragging insted of at the same time. She throws hard just not as hard as she can. Never been clocked but I would say 43-44mph. Our number 1 hits 49mph on a gun and she is a tad slower.

Mar 28, 2013
Sorry to Disagree but the two things she needs to be working on is spinning the ball and accuracy. Speed will develop with time and naturally with the snap when she works on getting the ball to spin, and eventually Movement. Not sure what level you are playing but speed alone will make for a very long day against good hitting teams. And If you cant throw accurate balls even worse.

Mar 6, 2013
Good mechanics and speed. Otherwise your DD will be called Junk ball pitcher by 12U level. Accuracy is the result of consistent mechanics.

May 28, 2012
Not sure what level you are playing but speed alone will make for a very long day against good hitting teams. And If you cant throw accurate balls even worse.
Shes in 10U. She can hit her spots.

She just turned 11 and is 5' and weighs about 125pds. She is a very strong girl. She plays 3rd throws to first on a string. When I say she needs speed doesnt mean shes slow just slow for how strong she is.

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
It doesnt matter how fast you can pitch, the batters WILL catch up to you by the 3rd inning. Speed is just ine weapon in a pitchers arsenal. It is usually the ONLY weapon in a ''Thrower's arsenal.

My advice for right now; fastball, slow change up and a speed in between those two. An off-speed. CHANGE SPEEDS CONSTANTLY. Doing that alone will win games. Do that well while you work on other things.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse