Speed Calculation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Release.jpgCatch.jpg

I was wondering if anyone else calculates velocity this way.......I use an app on my phone called "Ubersense" to video my DD's pitches and swings. The time indicator is in seconds and it is accurate (I have timed it). As you know, the equation to calculate velocity, is distance/time=velocity. As you can see in picture #1 the release of the ball from my DD's hand is at 7.37 seconds. In picture #2 the catch of the ball, by me, is at 7.94 seconds. The difference between the two numbers is 0.57 seconds. The pitching distance for U10 is 35

Last edited:

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Alan is correct...
Your DD is throwing 54 fps. So, you would multiply by 54 fps by 3600 (3600 seconds in an hour) to get "feet per hour", which equals about 196,000 feet per hour. Then, you divide 196,000 feet per hour by 5280 (5280 feet in a mile) to get about 37 MPH.

As Alan said, this is the average. The average speed is about 5 MPH lower than the top speed. So, your DD is throwing around 42 MPH top speed.

Of course, using FDM (Fuzzy Daddy Math), she is throwing at least 60 MPH.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Distance from the rubber to the plate has no signifigance.

You have to have the exact distance from the point of release to the catchers glove, if you are going by the instant the catcher is catching it. It will be a shorter distance than if measureing from the rubber.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
Alan is correct...
Your DD is throwing 54 fps. So, you would multiply by 54 fps by 3600 (3600 seconds in an hour) to get "feet per hour", which equals about 196,000 feet per hour. Then, you divide 196,000 feet per hour by 5280 (5280 feet in a mile) to get about 37 MPH.

As Alan said, this is the average. The average speed is about 5 MPH lower than the top speed. So, your DD is throwing around 42 MPH top speed.

Of course, using FDM (Fuzzy Daddy Math), she is throwing at least 60 MPH.

Okay, that made my head hurt....

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Distance from the rubber to the plate has no signifigance.

You have to have the exact distance from the point of release to the catchers glove, if you are going by the instant the catcher is catching it. It will be a shorter distance than if measureing from the rubber.

Doesn't it need to stop at the 5'-3' in front of the plate. Or at the point of where the batter has to start the swing. Or at least to the center of the plate ?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I'm thinking about developing and marketing an app for crazy pitcher parents tentatively called "FPSpeedDemon" or "GoldenArm".

This app will simply generate and display random numbers between 50 and 70 followed by MPH at a press of any button. I'm also thinking about creating custom versions for 8U, opposing teams, RayRay, and baseball. Need advice on how much I should charge. Oh, and I need a designer too. PM responses to PC and GD.

PS Watch the forum for calls for testers and testimonials.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207