Sparkler review $$$

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
The disconnect seems to be the myopic view that some here are taking. The number of D1 quality players from non-traditional softball areas who go there for recruiting exposure is an outlier. With over 1000 teams and 12-15 players on each team, there are about 13,000 players there. There are only 285 D1 programs and not even half go to Colorado and the avg recruiting class size is around 4-5. Do the math. Step back and look at the big picture. Recruiting is not the main draw of that tournament.
But there are plenty of D2 and D3 schools there at the satellite complexes. Would I travel out there with a team for that reason alone? No way.

If you're playing at some backwater fields in the middle of nowhere, then you have to expect it's a glorified softball vacation. If you're on a true National team playing in the IDT or Power Pools, then you're there for recruiting. If your team is okay with either and wants to go, have fun. If you, as a family, determine it's not in your budget or desire, find a different team or let them know well in advance that you won't be going.

May 27, 2013
Recruiting is not the main draw of that tournament.
I think to those parents and players who don’t post on DFP, and there are probably way more of them than there are of us, they do think it is about recruiting. The majority have no idea that just showing up to a National showcase isn’t going to get their kid a scholarship or on a college team. I remember talking with parents of the TB team my dd had left and them telling me they were “finally going to Colorado to get recruited.” They (nor the other coaches) had any idea how to even begin the recruiting process. They thought they just had to go there and it would happen. They don’t realize that being on a well-known TB program team doing a lot of leg-work before the showcase is what is the difference-maker.

I have also posted on a college message board for years. So many parents post on there from all different sport backgrounds asking about how to get their kids recruited. These are kids who are already juniors and rising seniors - and think they can just start the process at that time.

We who are in the know are a very, very small subset who understand how the process works. Even on here, many don’t know how it works - and that’s ok. They come here to learn and ask questions about it. I do think many do go to Colorado and many of the other well-known showcases thinking that if they show up and play well, a coach will recruit them. We know that’s not how it works.

Nov 18, 2013
The disconnect seems to be the myopic view that some here are taking. The number of D1 quality players from non-traditional softball areas who go there for recruiting exposure is an outlier. With over 1000 teams and 12-15 players on each team, there are about 13,000 players there. There are only 285 D1 programs and not even half go to Colorado and the avg recruiting class size is around 4-5. Do the math. Step back and look at the big picture. Recruiting is not the main draw of that tournament.

That’s true about the number of players that actually go D1, but thousands of players go there with those aspirations, whether realistic or not. At tryout time just about every team talks about getting girls to the next level and brags about showcases they attend, especially if they go to Colorado. Take away all the D1 coaches and those tourneys would fold.

Nov 5, 2014
"If you build it they will come"

Recruiting is how they built it. Yes after they hit a critical mass it became an event in the softball world that drew teams without significant recruiting interest. My DD's team went at 18u even though everyone on the team was committed. Wanted to play the best competition to prepare them for college but that tournament does not exist in it's current incarnation if it was not first a must attend recruiting event.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
You can call it a vacation, but it is very limited vacationing. Game(s) every day especially in the middle of the day limits how much you can see/do and how far away you can go from your town's fields. Your player may get tired and grumpy, too if you try to do too much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles