sore back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I'm just talking about the area above the waist of her pants. Their is no relaxation in her lower back. Good luck. I know it is awful to have a back ache.

Mar 13, 2010
Pilates, pilates, pilates.

I had back issues in my early 20s. A friend recommended pilates. It did WONDERS. I have little back pain now. I recommend it to everyone.

I personally think all pitchers should do pilates regardless of potential injury. It gives them good core strength.

Jul 21, 2008
Does she practice on concrete or gym floor...that could cause back pain also

Also strengthen the core with help with back pain

Oct 22, 2009
Does she practice on concrete or gym floor...that could cause back pain also

Also strengthen the core with help with back pain

Mine practiced on our driveway, after her fracture she always wore shoe inserts when practicing on concrete.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My dd has had some lower back pain at the end of this summer, she hasn't pitched in 2 months because of it. My wife did some tests on her and thinks that during her most recent growth spurt one leg grew a bit faster then the other and is currently a little longer creating a tilt, it will even out but in the mean time she is prone to some pain.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
One other factor that I probably should mention. The stride factor contributing to lower back pain.

Simply put. the higher the stride foot comes off the ground, the farther and harder it will come down. Having a hard and jarring landing can cause a lot of problems, including lower back pain.

I always taught my students to stride out with the foot no higher than as if they were wearing a roller blade on that foot.

Try not to let the stride foot get any higher than that and you will have a much smoother / softer landing. A less jarring landing is less stressful than a hard one,, on EVERYTHING!

Additional; I remember a few students that came to me from the same instructor. That instructor had taught them to step out and put their stride foot 'Into the catcher's glove'. They said their backs hurt after the games. Very unwise advice.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
My dd has had some lower back pain at the end of this summer, she hasn't pitched in 2 months because of it. My wife did some tests on her and thinks that during her most recent growth spurt one leg grew a bit faster then the other and is currently a little longer creating a tilt, it will even out but in the mean time she is prone to some pain.

Man, this sounds very familiar. My DD had back pain in her lower back on one side of her spine. Walking and running did not seem to be a problem, but every now and then, swinging a bat would cause it to hurt. Took her to the doctor where they took x-rays and said they couldn't find anything wrong and it probably was due to growth. After almost a year, it got to the point where she couldn't swing a bat at all. Took her to a sports ortho. and again x-rays showed nothing. He recomended a PT.

When I took her to the PT, she layed her on a table to examine her, and said one leg was longer than the other. She continued and found that one side of her hip was higher than the other. This caused the muscle on one side of her back to be stretched, while the one on the other side was compressed. When she swung the bat, she was stretching the muscle that was already stretched, causing the pain.

The sollution was a simple adjustment to allign the hips, and core exersizes (every day for 30-45 min.) to equalize the muscles to hold the hips in the correct position. The PT even showed me how to adjust her hips and told her to keep playing and let her know when her back quit hurting. After 5 weeks, her abs were rock hard and she had no more pain. Still hasn't to this day. She was 13 (12 when it started) at the time and is now about to turn 15. Can't say for sure, but I believe it happened sliding into 2nd.

Sorry about the long post, but I would like to encourage you to see a PT.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Man, this sounds very familiar. My DD had back pain in her lower back on one side of her spine. Walking and running did not seem to be a problem, but every now and then, swinging a bat would cause it to hurt. Took her to the doctor where they took x-rays and said they couldn't find anything wrong and it probably was due to growth. After almost a year, it got to the point where she couldn't swing a bat at all. Took her to a sports ortho. and again x-rays showed nothing. He recomended a PT.

When I took her to the PT, she layed her on a table to examine her, and said one leg was longer than the other. She continued and found that one side of her hip was higher than the other. This caused the muscle on one side of her back to be stretched, while the one on the other side was compressed. When she swung the bat, she was stretching the muscle that was already stretched, causing the pain.

The sollution was a simple adjustment to allign the hips, and core exersizes (every day for 30-45 min.) to equalize the muscles to hold the hips in the correct position. The PT even showed me how to adjust her hips and told her to keep playing and let her know when her back quit hurting. After 5 weeks, her abs were rock hard and she had no more pain. Still hasn't to this day. She was 13 (12 when it started) at the time and is now about to turn 15. Can't say for sure, but I believe it happened sliding into 2nd.

Sorry about the long post, but I would like to encourage you to see a PT.

My wife is a PT. Masters degree in PT with a sports and ortho emphasis. 23 years in the business and at one time wrote all the protocols for treatments for an ortho hospital.

She is handy to have around. Lots of core exercises are encouraged around here.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
My wife is a PT. Masters degree in PT with a sports and ortho emphasis. 23 years in the business and at one time wrote all the protocols for treatments for an ortho hospital.

She is handy to have around. Lots of core exercises are encouraged around here.

Sorry 'bout that... you're a lucky guy, I think I'm still paying mine. :eek:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad