sore back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 19, 2009
14 yo dd has started complaining about back soreness recently. She describes it as a tightness in her lower back which sounds like the same kind of back tightness I routinely live with but nobody expects me to pitch in a tourney next weekend. She's been on good teams the last two years with deep pitching rotations so I don't believe this to be a case of being overpitched, although the #1 pitcher on her team last year had back soreness but kept on pitching.

I'm not asking for medical advice, we have appointments set with a message therapist and doc. I just know this is a fairly common problem among pitchers and was wondering what stretching & strenght training advice or website links might be out there. I subscribe to Hillhouse's newsletters and seem to recall an article he did on this topic but I can't seem to find it now.

thanks,

Dusty

Feb 15, 2011
FL
Not a doctor, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express, however my dd would lean back trying to keep her weight back on her back foot and would get the same pain. Corrected her pitching posture and no problems for the last eight months.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
She probably needs a strength training program. I would encourage you to send Marc Dagenais a message and see what he can set up for her.

For specific exercises to strengthen the lower back, try the "Prone Cobra" and "Reverse Snow Angels".

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nE8FcJk2-vo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sICIMyIJECo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2010
She's bending over a lot at release, that might have a lot to do with it. That said, kids do a lot of stuff besides softball, think a bit and figure if it could be something not softball related causing it, even a bad matress.

The exercises Ray posted are excellent, but a kid at this age shouldn't be sore. I'd do the exercises and look for the culprit. . . and fix that lean!

-W

Oct 22, 2009
I think 14 is a common age for them to start experiencing back pain.
Mine was 14 when she had 2 spinal stress fractures. Overuse was the general consensus. Her back was growing and her muscles had not had time to secure, so basically her back was weak, and she was throwing way too much.

Work on mechanics and take it easy during growth spurts and pain.
Mine pitched continuously through the pain, which is why it ended up so bad.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Does she bend down in front and come back up as she starts her forward drive?

Can you post a video of her motions?

Feb 19, 2009
I don't think she has a bending over issue in her pitching motion but here's a video of her pitching taken last spring, dw is kinda touchy about posting videos of our dd's on the web so I'll only leave this up for a short while. The age/growth issue sounds like the most likely culprit, thanks for the replies.

(video removed per dw comment above, pm me for link to video if you think you have useful feedback)

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think that her back is sore during this video, either that, or she is trying to prevent it from hurting. I hope that the doctor is able to help her, but what I am noticing is that she isn't very flexible in the pelvic girdle - or she is trying to hold it still.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
She is throwing as a step style pitcher that is standing tall during the entire motion. THAT is why her back hurts. The stride knee and leg are not absorbing the amount of shock it should from the landing, the lower back is and it is NOT designed to do that.

Send me an email or private message and I will send you something that will help.

Feb 19, 2009
I think that her back is sore during this video, either that, or she is trying to prevent it from hurting. I hope that the doctor is able to help her, but what I am noticing is that she isn't very flexible in the pelvic girdle - or she is trying to hold it still.

If she was sore at the time she wasn't complaining about it. Maybe it's because I'm male but I don't know what a pelvic girdle is. Pretty sure she's throwing a curve ball in the most, if not all of the pitches.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877