Some questions on Bat tipping

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2015
1. Does more bat tip equal more bat speed?
2.Do you untip on every pitch? or do you only untip on pitches you decide to hit?
3.Do you tip while you are forward by coiling and then untip when the front foot goes down?
4. How does bat tipping give you more leverage/stretch? When I bat tip I get faster, earlier bat speed but it doesn't feel like its adding more stretch to the swing.
5. when you untip, should you be thinking of uppercutting to achieve the early bat speed?
6. if you untip but also push with the arms do you still get any benefit from the untip?
7. Is untipping and turning the barrel the same thing?
8. When you untip the bat, do you do untip at a 90 degree angle or do you do untip all the way?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
These are all great questions...

1. Does more bat tip equal more bat speed? Not necessarily
2.Do you untip on every pitch? or do you only untip on pitches you decide to hit? Watch Donaldson from this year's home run derby - what do you think? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFlIBLAzRYY
3.Do you tip while you are forward by coiling and then untip when the front foot goes down? Watch the Bautista clip below...what do you think?
4. How does bat tipping give you more leverage/stretch? When I bat tip I get faster, earlier bat speed but it doesn't feel like its adding more stretch to the swing. Video your swing and put it side by side against Baez, et al and see if you can spot what you are missing. I'm guessing you are pushing your hands past your upper body losing some of the resistance you created before launch
5. when you untip, should you be thinking of uppercutting to achieve the early bat speed? There is a downward angle to the pitch. I don't like using the word upper cut. I prefer to think of it as getting the bat on plane with pitch.
6. if you untip but also push with the arms do you still get any benefit from the untip? If I understand you correctly, NO. But please clarify.
7. Is untipping and turning the barrel the same thing? NO
8. When you untip the bat, do you do untip at a 90 degree angle or do you do untip all the way? 90* angle relative to what? Your lead arm? The ground? You lost me here...blonde moment on my part perhaps

Start to learn these things on your own (and get in the box to feel certain movements\movement patterns) it will make more sense to you than if we just spew answers at you...

Bautista_061013_2HRcombo.gif

Check out noontimebaseball.com for an endless supply of gifs...download kinovea (free) to view them frame by frame...then grab a bat and get in the box and/or in front of a mirror...

RHC posted these the other day...you might find these helpful...

https://vine.co/v/e6K72XwgXw7

https://vine.co/v/e6IvOghObtg

CP

Jul 29, 2015
These are all great questions...

1. Does more bat tip equal more bat speed? Not necessarily
2.Do you untip on every pitch? or do you only untip on pitches you decide to hit? Watch Donaldson from this year's home run derby - what do you think? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFlIBLAzRYY
3.Do you tip while you are forward by coiling and then untip when the front foot goes down? Watch the Bautista clip below...what do you think?
4. How does bat tipping give you more leverage/stretch? When I bat tip I get faster, earlier bat speed but it doesn't feel like its adding more stretch to the swing. Video your swing and put it side by side against Baez, et al and see if you can spot what you are missing. I'm guessing you are pushing your hands past your upper body losing some of the resistance you created before launch
5. when you untip, should you be thinking of uppercutting to achieve the early bat speed? There is a downward angle to the pitch. I don't like using the word upper cut. I prefer to think of it as getting the bat on plane with pitch.
6. if you untip but also push with the arms do you still get any benefit from the untip? If I understand you correctly, NO. But please clarify.
7. Is untipping and turning the barrel the same thing? NO
8. When you untip the bat, do you do untip at a 90 degree angle or do you do untip all the way? 90* angle relative to what? Your lead arm? The ground? You lost me here...blonde moment on my part perhaps

Start to learn these things on your own (and get in the box to feel certain movements\movement patterns) it will make more sense to you than if we just spew answers at you...

Bautista_061013_2HRcombo.gif

Check out noontimebaseball.com for an endless supply of gifs...download kinovea (free) to view them frame by frame...then grab a bat and get in the box and/or in front of a mirror...

RHC posted these the other day...you might find these helpful...

https://vine.co/v/e6K72XwgXw7

https://vine.co/v/e6IvOghObtg

CP

4. Yeah I'm pushing with my hands first, But I just had a eureka moment while watching a video clip of yasiel puig hitting, I noticed when he launches that his rear upper arm is turning towards the pitcher, while mine was turning away. I changed this and it helped A TON, its like my swing is alot shorter and more to the pitcher, instead of around my body.

6. You untip the bat then swing all arms is what I meant, but I realized it doesn't.

7. Can you explain what the difference is between tipping/untipping and turning the barrel/launching the barrel is?

8. 90 degrees to your lead arm

Thank you for answering my questions.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
4. Yeah I'm pushing with my hands first, But I just had a eureka moment while watching a video clip of yasiel puig hitting, I noticed when he launches that his rear upper arm is turning towards the pitcher, while mine was turning away. I changed this and it helped A TON, its like my swing is alot shorter and more to the pitcher, instead of around my body.

6. You untip the bat then swing all arms is what I meant, but I realized it doesn't.

7. Can you explain what the difference is between tipping/untipping and turning the barrel/launching the barrel is?

8. 90 degrees to your lead arm

Thank you for answering my questions.

Untipping preceeds turning the barrel..This is turning the barrel
35i56jr.gif

Some may describe turning the barrel as simply twisting the top hand allowing the barrel to start to move around the rear forearm...

I'm in a hotel right now and my internet access blows...I'll try to post more tomorrow or maybe others will chime in.

You are doing great because you are taking the time to learn and understand this...CP

Jul 29, 2015
Untipping preceeds turning the barrel..This is turning the barrel
35i56jr.gif

Some may describe turning the barrel as simply twisting the top hand allowing the barrel to start to move around the rear forearm...

I'm in a hotel right now and my internet access blows...I'll try to post more tomorrow or maybe others will chime in.

You are doing great because you are taking the time to learn and understand this...CP

I see, I thought untip and turning the barrel were the same thing. Can you explain how to tip and untip the bat to create more stretch in the swing? I sitll don't know exactly how to tip/untip

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Can you explain how to tip and untip the bat to create more stretch in the swing?
The stretch a hitter wants is from the hip(red line)to the hands.
2f0avdh.gif

Added:
I don't care if it affects adjust-ability I just want to swing fast
This is 'crazy talk' or HR derby talk/swing.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2015
The stretch a hitter wants is from the hip(red line)to the hands.
2f0avdh.gif

Yeah I can feel the stretch there, but I don't get how turning the barrel creates more stretch and starts the swing beacuse the hands arent moving back at all just the barrel is.

or Does the untip just bring the hands naturally back creating more stretch and turning the barrel doesnt add any stretch it just launches the swing?

Edit: Its not crazy talk, I can already hit consistently, I rarely strike out , all I need now is power, my contact is good already.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mizenikki1