Some Feedback Please...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Ha! Thanks Java. Yeah left out start from the K-position - sideways to the catcher. Try it like this.

1. Stand sideways to the catcher.

2. Keeping back straight, squat like you are sitting down, not a deep squat, just enough like you are going to sit in a chair.

3. Let the ball swing back easily, ball up just like a k-drill

4. Stride out while maintaining the back straight and squat position, just like k-drill

5. Begin to throw the ball

6. When landing on stride leg firm it up. It is slightly bent because of the squat position, so it is active not stiff.

7. When stride leg lands, let the back leg through by letting the thigh rotate inwardly.

8. Whip the ball through.

The idea is to keep the back straight, therefore posture upright, by keeping the pelvis behind the knees (from a side on perspective) instead of on top of or directly above the knees. Like you suggest, I am trying to activate legs, glutes and core separately from the head, arms and shoulders, by activating them with the chair type squat. This helps get the feeling of using the legs and shows how to clear the back hip without bending over and putting the butt back. By squating, with no torso bend forward, you create a barrel to get your arm through as soon as you tuck the back leg dd ( image of barrel would be in lap with open end toward catcher and second base. So, not a deep squat. Just standing sideways, bending knees out in front of you and slightly sit back. Then do k-drill this way. This all keeps the torso and head over the center of gravity. There is no standing up as you keep your legs bent with weight of your torso in them. With your butt under you, and back straight, there is no way to lean, and the back leg is much easier to get through with the left leg active.

Let me know if I got to try again. This is what I tried, because, all high level pitchers have the back straight posture which is maintained throughout the pitch ( after the push-off). So, I start in that position and maintain it.

I'll give this a go tomorrow. Could you possibly upload a video showing how?... or is this similar to the video recently uploaded video of the florida instructor having the young girl pitch with Hannah Rogers?

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I'll give this a go tomorrow. Could you possibly upload a video showing how?... or is this similar to the video recently uploaded video of the florida instructor having the young girl pitch with Hannah Rogers?

Sounds like the bucket drill shown there, yes.

Feb 28, 2010
Hey Java,

Here is a clip, I hope. Trying to keep her upright, which is working. Need some help getting back knee turned and leg through. She understands but gets it through too late.

[video]https://youtu.be/h8dOvSz7ZC0[/video]

I think I saw the Hannah Rogers clip. The one with the kid in the green shirt? I can't find it now, to tell you if this is the same or not.

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
Interesting. I see the 'squat' as a little shallower than I originally thought. I will play around with this feel l... as it intrigues me. Thanks!

Btw... Dd looks pretty whippy... nice job.

Feb 7, 2013
While since mid-2011, my dds (and I) have seen Denny Tincher ~25 times, both in group and individual lessons, I don't know exactly what the Tincher Method is.

In individual lessons, Denny has never tried to change the I/R and javasource-inspired drive mechanics I have attempted to incorporate in to my dd's (mostly my youngest dd) pitching. In a one-on-one setting, Denny has made 4 improvements to my dd's mechanics (1 for older, 3 for younger) that improved her pitching immediately. But these observations were individual, not the kind of things that are emphasized in group lessons involving Tincher Certified Instructors.

So I think of Denny Tincher as a great individual pitching instructor who has spent way more than 10,000 hours thinking hard about how to help a kid pitch better. I don't know if he has been successful in packaging his knowledge in a way that can reliably dispensed by his Certified Instructors.

His youngest daughter, Abby (Angela's younger sister) did the recruiting video below. I would expect her technique to be representative of the current "Tincher Method".

https://video.search.yahoo.com/vide...g&sigi=11vkhmuvu&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-004

Regarding the Abby video. Not sure why you want to hit your thigh with your glove and it looks like pitching hand before you start your windup. Also, as a side note there is at least 2 misspellings "cruveball" and "foootage". I hope this wasn't circulated to college recruiters?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Did you do an actual lesson with Denny Tincher? Did he demonstrate the drill where you tape a dog squeaky toy to the top of her right foot and she needs to make it "squeak" by pulling her right foot into her left calf at release? This helps maximize her leg drive, and THAT is where your DD will find more speed....

Any video of this drill?

Feb 28, 2010
Here is a very interesting video. Look at the 20:00 minute mark to see a drill that looks like what is described as a result of the "Tincher Drill" This rotating of the rear leg with knee and shoe laces pointing toward home is something I've been trying to feel. I agree that the rear leg timed with the whip is where the speed is. I am also finding that this is where balance is and accuracy and repeatability as a consequence. Wish I could understand what they are saying. Btw, this is why I try the squat to keep the hips and pelvis directly under the torso. This allows whip to occur at the back leg because there is no lean or bend. Ueno is awesome in the video, it's worth checking out even if you can't understand/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlIAHa7UOqE

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Here is a very interesting video. Look at the 20:00 minute mark to see a drill that looks like what is described as a result of the "Tincher Drill" This rotating of the rear leg with knee and shoe laces pointing toward home is something I've been trying to feel. I agree that the rear leg timed with the whip is where the speed is. I am also finding that this is where balance is and accuracy and repeatability as a consequence. Wish I could understand what they are saying. Btw, this is why I try the squat to keep the hips and pelvis directly under the torso. This allows whip to occur at the back leg because there is no lean or bend. Ueno is awesome in the video, it's worth checking out even if you can't understand/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlIAHa7UOqE

Interesting riseball spins.

Feb 28, 2010
Ok BT and Java and anyone else. Here is an analysis I've come up with on why I think I'm trying to use the slight squat to fix bending, leaning and not snapping the whip at the back hip (getting too long).

The image I have is of the pitcher sideways to me, the catcher.

1. If the body is standing vertically, with the center of mass ( I'm guessing somewhere a few inches below the navel on most people and inside the body under a line from the center of the head) stacked entirely in opposition to the normal force of gravity, then the forces of swinging arm and ball pulling down and then snapping forward throws the body off vertical and moves it downwards (bend) and toward third base (lean, right handed pitcher). Only the muscles of the core and feet can then counter act these forces.

However,

2. If I can shift the center of mass (along the line from the center of head down) by moving the torso behind the knees in opposition to the forces created by the mass of the arm and ball by moving it, i.e. squat like a hitting stance, I then have room for the forces of the arm and ball to move my body to vertical (straight) and I can use the large muscles of the legs and glutes to counter-act the forces created by the arm and ball. Being able to counter-act the forces of the ball and arm mass, I can then remain vertical ( upright posture) and whip and snap the ball at the back hip.

I am just thinking out-loud here in an attempt to help end all the leaning and bending and long arming that seem inevitable with young pitchers. I make no claim on the idea's efficacy. I just put it out as something else to try. And also to get some feedback, because with out you people I'm floating in space with no one else and every time I throw out a new idea I go spinning wildly in a vacuum. Like some of the pitches I try to catch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan