Small colleges - MPH

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
This weekend my daughter and I went to a double header between last years conference champ and a middle of the conference team. Talking NAIA. During the first game, both pitchers topped out at 61. During the second game there was a total of four different pitchers used. The max speed in that group was an occasional 56 with most working 52-55 and changes were coming in at 41. Are these readings possible/typical or do I need to get my ball coach pocket radar checked out? :cool:

The fielding on both teams was very solid, as was how hard they played the game. Pitching was the big surprise. With no daddy goggles around, is this somewhat typical?

Makes me feel better about my DD pitching a steady 51-53 with a 38-40 mph change up (according to the new Pocket Radar). :)

Nov 17, 2010
"Radar Grandpa" has over 23K+ views of this Youtube video....I wonder how many of those were DFP members? I also would love to see a VH-1 "where are they now" special on his DGD. This video was done in Feb 2009, so I figure Rebecca (the pitcher in the video) is getting close to college age!

I'm not a huge contributor to this forum, but I read it pretty regularly. I believe I was the first to find and post this video several years ago...

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/5224-pocket-radar-update.html#post52810

I'm pleased that folks still remember this gem and that it has become part of DFP lore in some small way.

-darken (Not Rae Rae's Dad)

Jun 7, 2013
My DDs love softball but practicing on their own, not so much. In spite of their success this makes me question whether or not they are "college material". My 16 year old is now trying to determine if she wants to work as hard as it would take to make a college team and be on a college team. Since, as a sophomore, she is throwing in the mid-50's there is probably a place out their for her. She needs to decide for herself which way she wants to go. My 13 year old currently throws 50 so she has a similar decision to make.

Feb 17, 2011
I'm not sure why that would be depressing. Chances are several of the girls you watched are capable of throwing fastballs in the 60 mph range. You're just not going to see a lot of fastballs at that level.

My DD is a DII freshman pitcher and tops out at 61 mph on her fastball. She is third fastest of teams six pitchers. 2/3 through the season now and the coaches have found a way to utilize her. She has a great curve/drop "crop" and screwball. Her rise ball has disappeared this year for some reason but she still does well. She leads team in era but is last in strike outs, but most importantly last in walks. The pitching coach grins from ear to ear from all her three pitch innings. The other two pitchers a senior and sophomore are faster but are wild sometimes and both have given up way more hr and bb and have higher era.
At this level thrown 60 to 63 with little movement will get you rocked.
He tells DD to work her speeds and spins and although he initially hated her desire to throw backdoor curves he has come around to it after several batter bail on a pitch that ends up for a strike.
He is a professional men's pitcher and has taught her a lot already. Its like getting a good discount on tuition and free pitching lessons.
Over all he stress that you can't defense a walk or a dinger so thrown with control and keep it down and mix your speeds.
Since the midpoint of the season she has started every game against top 25 opponents and has gone 3-1 against them.

On another note she was initially recruited for her bat and spent a lot of fall ball behind a senior at third base. During fall ball she came in as relief a couple games and hasn't seen third or batted since. If your DD wants to play encourage it. You never know what might happen and you'll never know if you don't try. She is a nursing student and although many schools cooled off recruiting her after learning this she stuck too it and found a fit. The coach told her he guaranteed she would be making $0 in four years playing softball but be making good money as a nurse anesthetist.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Does speed determine a pitchers effectiveness? Ask yourselves this question (as many college coaches do):
Who would you rather have as a pitcher?
1: girl who can bring the heat at 63-64 MPH and leans on her FB
2: girl who hovers around 58-60 who can hit her spots and has good breaking pitches?

Me personally, I take pitcher 2 every time

Feb 17, 2011
Does speed determine a pitchers effectiveness? Ask yourselves this question (as many college coaches do):
Who would you rather have as a pitcher?
1: girl who can bring the heat at 63-64 MPH and leans on her FB
2: girl who hovers around 58-60 who can hit her spots and has good breaking pitches?

Me personally, I take pitcher 2 every time

That's how my DD has risen from third base backup to the go to pitcher. She has averaged .14 walks per inning. And in spite of only averaging .42 strike outs per inning she still gets it done. She has and awesome defense behind her and this certainly takes the pressure off of her. SS reads pitch calls and adjusts infield and outfielders accordingly.
Hitting spots to take advantage of the adjustments is key.
Varying pitchspeed to keep batters thinking is also key. First sign is speed....bring it, 70-60% or change then pitch call. Off speed curves following 100% screwball seems to be most effective but if neither hits the spot you're going to end up with a dinger.

The speed lost to spinning it has to pay off in movement and the movement has to go where it is intended or your setting yourself up for a hit.
It comes done to the three S's
Spots
Spins
Speeds

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2013
That's how my DD has risen from third base backup to the go to pitcher. She has averaged .14 walks per inning. And in spite of only averaging .42 strike outs per inning she still gets it done. She has and awesome defense behind her and this certainly takes the pressure off of her. SS reads pitch calls and adjusts infield and outfielders accordingly.
Hitting spots to take advantage of the adjustments is key.
Varying pitchspeed to keep batters thinking is also key. First sign is speed....bring it, 70-60% or change then pitch call. Off speed curves following 100% screwball seems to be most effective but if neither hits the spot you're going to end up with a dinger.

The speed lost to spinning it has to pay off in movement and the movement has to go where it is intended or your setting yourself up for a hit.
It comes done to the three S's
Spots
Spins
Speeds

My DD is, currently, one of three JV pitchers looking to be starting for Varsity next year. All three pitchers are good. Each of them throws in the mid-fifties, has a couple of other effective pitches, and has had success. If my DD has any advantage on them it is that she hits her spots and rarely ever throws it fat. I've seen some other pitchers with better speed and faster spin but then they make a mistake and leave one down the middle and there goes the game.

You need enough speed to be effective at your level but spots and spins are vital.

Feb 17, 2011
My DD is, currently, one of three JV pitchers looking to be starting for Varsity next year. All three pitchers are good. Each of them throws in the mid-fifties, has a couple of other effective pitches, and has had success. If my DD has any advantage on them it is that she hits her spots and rarely ever throws it fat. I've seen some other pitchers with better speed and faster spin but then they make a mistake and leave one down the middle and there goes the game.

You need enough speed to be effective at your level but spots and spins are vital.

Yeah hitting your spots is definitely key. I see so many waste so much time trying to perfect their seven pitches and not concentrating on consistent location. DD is doing well with basically two pitches and three speeds with location locked down.
Williams said the key to hitting is getting a good pitch to hit. If as a pitcher your DD doesn't give them that then she will be fine. My wife worried as our DD transitioned to college ball that she wasn't fast enough and I told her as long as she hit her spots she would be fine. As the season has progressed the numbers have prove me right. Believe me when it comes to the wife that rarely if ever happens. Lol

Oh and another thing stress to your DD on NEVER showing emotions. Many parents have commented on DD not showing emotions when things go bad. Some of the other pitchers do and it will bring the coach out of the dugout very quickly as he feels they are going to lose control.
The catchers dad commented that his DD said she likes my DD cause it could be snowing oats and Rachel would never show it was bothering her.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
My DD is a DII freshman pitcher and tops out at 61 mph on her fastball. She is third fastest of teams six pitchers. 2/3 through the season now and the coaches have found a way to utilize her. She has a great curve/drop "crop" and screwball. Her rise ball has disappeared this year for some reason but she still does well. She leads team in era but is last in strike outs, but most importantly last in walks. The pitching coach grins from ear to ear from all her three pitch innings. The other two pitchers a senior and sophomore are faster but are wild sometimes and both have given up way more hr and bb and have higher era.
At this level thrown 60 to 63 with little movement will get you rocked.

He tells DD to work her speeds and spins and although he initially hated her desire to throw backdoor curves he has come around to it after several batter bail on a pitch that ends up for a strike.
He is a professional men's pitcher and has taught her a lot already. Its like getting a good discount on tuition and free pitching lessons.
Over all he stress that you can't defense a walk or a dinger so thrown with control and keep it down and mix your speeds.
Since the midpoint of the season she has started every game against top 25 opponents and has gone 3-1 against them.

On another note she was initially recruited for her bat and spent a lot of fall ball behind a senior at third base. During fall ball she came in as relief a couple games and hasn't seen third or batted since. If your DD wants to play encourage it. You never know what might happen and you'll never know if you don't try. She is a nursing student and although many schools cooled off recruiting her after learning this she stuck too it and found a fit. The coach told her he guaranteed she would be making $0 in four years playing softball but be making good money as a nurse anesthetist.

Thank you for sharing this experience- I think it will be valuable to discuss with my DD who is a similar speed LHP. She gets caught up in trying to make all pitches work- but CB which is GREAT when it works, is BFP (big fat pitch) when it does not. Although she is looking at DIII mostly, coaches are still very attached to mph, so she is too. I think this will really help her to focus her workouts on using her current pitches most effectively.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55