Slapping from the right

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2013
Colorado
Good Morning. I am trying to find some videos on right side slappers.

I have heard of it being done but have never seen it.

I have a righty who is fast and can bunt well just looking for something to add to her arsenal...

Also let me know your thoughts on right handed slapping. Is it worth trying to teach? Should I just stick with her bunting? Maybe teach her to slap from the left?

Thanks,

Bulldogs Coach

Jun 22, 2008
How old? If she is fast and young enough she has time to move to the left side and get proficient at it dont waste any more time on the right side. I had a HS girl doing right handed slapping last night and I dont see where there is any benefit. They really cant be moving toward 1st at contact with the ball like a lefty can and they are 3-4' further away from 1st. I dont recall her getting on base during the game. The only time she really had a chance I called her out for interference with F3.

Jan 23, 2013
Colorado
She is 14U. She is fast. Probably the fastest one one the team always 1st or 2nd in line up.

She wants to learn how to slap from the left. It is something we are going to work on for the next 6 weeks before regular league games start and have her try it then. I just have heard of players doing it from the right. Do they slap like normal towards short or do the go towards 2nd base? Thanks.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
It takes roughly a year to learn to hit an slap from the left, so if she is 14 then you need to start. I would only do it , if she is very fast. Plus look at her body type because they change as they get older. Slapping from the right is a weapon, just not for the same reason as from the left. Bustos slapped from the right side when it was required and she is a turtle when it comes to speed. It is used to freeze the defense . If ss is covering a steal at third or second, then a slap keeps her from cheating. Keep in mind if you know the ATEC rules a slap is also a SAC. Most only think in terms of bunts.

Jan 8, 2012
Aurora, IL
It takes roughly a year to learn to hit an slap from the left, so if she is 14 then you need to start. I would only do it , if she is very fast. Plus look at her body type because they change as they get older. Slapping from the right is a weapon, just not for the same reason as from the left. Bustos slapped from the right side when it was required and she is a turtle when it comes to speed. It is used to freeze the defense . If ss is covering a steal at third or second, then a slap keeps her from cheating. Keep in mind if you know the ATEC rules a slap is also a SAC. Most only think in terms of bunts.

I think I know some rules, is there a link to this ATEC document?

Apr 26, 2012
DePaul University won a game to get into the WS slapping from the right. We had them do a clinic for us. Its an eye opener and it works. You can find her at Circuit Softball if you have questions. Liz Jagielski is her name, played for DePaul and coached there, played pro for the Bandits. She is incredible to work with and learn from. Her coaches that also work with her are phenomenal and were D1 players so they know the game so listen to them.

Aug 2, 2008
I always teach my fastest right handers to sneaky bunt. They have to be able to hit the grass when asked to hit to keep the defense honest, if they can then the sneaky bunt is very effective for a right hander. I have them work on bunting right at the first baseman and when they get it down it amost always works. They show hit right up to the last second and then sneak in a bunt. I have only had a handfull in the last 8 or 9 years that were really good at it.

Slappers, slug bunters, sneaky bunters etc... must all be able to hit to be really effective..IMO.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
A really good drag bunt on the right hand side will often be called a right hand slap. If she is moving her feet/body as she is bunting, its perfectly legal as long as at least one foot is in the box while the other foot hasn't touched down in the field of play at contact.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors