Skipping practice to sub for another team?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
No guest players for any of you. If missing one of your practices will throw the Team off I can not even image what a guest player would do to the team. Has disaster written all over it, better to just forfeit.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Practice, practice!!!! We talking about practice? Play in real games is better then practicing IMO. Big deal missing a practice, she got to play a live game with live pitching. A lot better for the player.

While your statement is correct, playing in a game is better for the player. It is not better for the team. Our 18 Team has basically 2 practices per week after HS, because of the distance involved for some of the players only 1 practice is a Team practice and we would need everyone there to go over our defensive plays, coverages, ect. When a player misses, she takes away from the Team as a whole.

Mar 3, 2016
My daughter is only allowed(by her dad and I) to be a "ringer" if it doesn't cause her to miss any of activities of the travel team to which she made a commitment.
Practice at U16 is important for a variety of reasons-and I wouldn't be surprised if missing practices caused her to sit out an extra inning, or bat lower in the order.

Mar 10, 2016
My feeling is that if the coach is asking because he has players out and needs enough to field a team, I might be inclined to allow them to play. If it's for the sole purpose of trying to field a better team with our player, than it's not happening. Go get and/or develop better players.

First, no girl from any travel team should be picking up with any other travel team without the explicit consent of her team's head coach.

Any girl who does pick up with another team without asking for permission from her head coach should be dismissed by said head coach ..... immediately.

Any team/coach who approaches girls or their families directly about picking up and does not inform her coaches or at least request that she inform and ask permission from her coaches should be ostracized and avoided in the future.

Nov 3, 2012
First, no girl from any travel team should be picking up with any other travel team without the explicit consent of her team's head coach.

Any girl who does pick up with another team without asking for permission from her head coach should be dismissed by said head coach ..... immediately.

Any team/coach who approaches girls or their families directly about picking up and does not inform her coaches or at least request that she inform and ask permission from her coaches should be ostracized and avoided in the future.

Sounds pretty rigid and doesn't work that way in the real world. Come on, seems to me you want the girls to a have a signed iron clad contract where the team completely locks them up like a major league team. Ive been around, and the teams that make rigid rules around subbing are the ones that are in trouble anyway , and do it because they're worried about losing girls mid season\or after season. And yes, I also see all the time other coaches passively recruit girls. In this day and age there's a lot of teams out there to play for. Like somebody posted earlier. Your best defense is to offer a good competitive team with a happy environment. And if you have a girl that wants to take the initiative to go improve herself on off weekends, then more power to her.

Sounds pretty rigid and doesn't work that way in the real world. Come on, seems to me you want the girls to a have a signed iron clad contract where the team completely locks them up like a major league team. Ive been around, and the teams that make rigid rules around subbing are the ones that are in trouble anyway , and do it because they're worried about losing girls mid season\or after season. And yes, I also see all the time other coaches passively recruit girls. In this day and age there's a lot of teams out there to play for. Like somebody posted earlier. Your best defense is to offer a good competitive team with a happy environment. And if you have a girl that wants to take the initiative to go improve herself on off weekends, then more power to her.

Actually, my org and our peer orgs all do this. We have no problem keeping girls, are not "in trouble" in any way and we will have many, many high-caliber girls at our next tryouts.

It isn't about anything of the sort of what you speak of. It's about having some class, being above-board and transparent and having some dignity and respect for your team, other teams and all the girls and families and organizations involved.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA

This is a put on, right?

This is a put on, right?

Not at all.

Coaches who also happen to be ladies and gentlemen have no problem whatsoever with picking up the phone and calling another coach to see if it is OK if they pick up a player when there truly is a need.

This helps avoid things like teams picking up ringers when there isn't a need so they can play "better" players and have their own sit on the bench. It also helps avoid poaching. It helps avoid a girl's teammates from hearing about a player on their team suddenly playing for another team and avoids all the uncertainty her teammates may have about such a situation. It helps avoid a situation where a practice in which her team might need her to work on "team" things gets missed because the parents feel like playing for another team is more important that their DD's commitment to her own team.

It is just better to be open, transparent, honest and honorable about such things rather than going behind people's backs.

Jun 12, 2015
I don't really expect coaches to contact each other about it but I do think the parents should be open with everyone. At least around here it's a small softball world and if you pick up without telling your coach it will get back to him and he will not be happy at being deceived (I've seen this happen, not cool).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1