Size Glove for 8U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2016
Thank you all for the input, we are going to check out a few sporting goods stores north of us this weekend. My DD does like pink, but prefers for her ball stuff to match the city's team colors and they have used the same color/mascot since my mom moved here in the 70's.

In the mean time what is a good brand bat backpack? Looking for something that's going to last as along as possible. Her old one broke over the fall, but it was the old school style bag and she hated to carry it.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Thank you all for the input, we are going to check out a few sporting goods stores north of us this weekend. My DD does like pink, but prefers for her ball stuff to match the city's team colors and they have used the same color/mascot since my mom moved here in the 70's.

In the mean time what is a good brand bat backpack? Looking for something that's going to last as along as possible. Her old one broke over the fall, but it was the old school style bag and she hated to carry it.

Easton makes what I consider the best backpacks. Worth & Mizuno are normally good as well. I have not had luck with Louisville Slugger though for whatever reason. Right now my DD is using a really large 3n2 bag we got online during a sale but it is not a backpack.

Browse the shops to see what you want, but buy online and save a lot of money. I haven't bought anything from one of the sporting good stores except for an emergency buy (socks/softball pants, bat wrap) in years. It doesn't get any cheaper as they get older - in fact it gets a WHOLE lot more expensive.

May 13, 2015
Just to give you one more option......my daughter has been using this glove since she was 8. She is 10 now and still has really tiny hands. Seriously, her hands are the size of a 6 year olds. She plays completive travel (pitcher) and we tried to find her a more "substantial" glove (as we've found the "youth gloves" wear out pretty fast...but any and all adult gloves (even 11") were so big on her that her fingers don't even go in the stalls. This glove is pretty much the same as the Jenny Finch but in my DD's case she doesn't want pink on anything. She's on her 3rd one of these and I'll keep buying them until her hands grow LOL. it's a 12" but really not as large as an adult 12". it's lightweight and easy to manage.
Mizuno 12.5' Supreme Black Series Fastpitch Glove | DICK'S Sporting Goods

My daughter is similar in age with small hands. She has been using the same mizuno prospect gloves, and I've been replacing them as they get floppy cause it fits her wrist best and she was reluctant to break in a glove. Just moved her up to the mizuno mvp below. Still fits her small hand well and is a better quality so should last longer.
MVP Fastpitch Series GMVP1200F2 Utility Glove | Mizuno USA

Oct 16, 2014
My daughter is similar in age with small hands. She has been using the same mizuno prospect gloves, and I've been replacing them as they get floppy cause it fits her wrist best and she was reluctant to break in a glove. Just moved her up to the mizuno mvp below. Still fits her small hand well and is a better quality so should last longer.
MVP Fastpitch Series GMVP1200F2 Utility Glove | Mizuno USA

^^ yes this is a really nice glove! I actually ordered this one, as well as a 11.5
" and one other Mizuno and all were a no go. I could see her fingernails in the open back, that's how small my DD's hand is. I REALLY wanted her to be able to move up to this glove but she has some growing to do. Next year with the 12" ball is going to be interesting. It may kill her knuckle change up completely LOL

Jun 21, 2014
Philadelphia, PA

My daughter is in 8U and has a 11" Rawlings - forget the model, but it is very soft and easy to open/close. The Jenny Finch one is good as well. I'd recommend going to the store and having her try on several to see which fits her hand, but also to make sure that she can open and close it. The softer gloves are better at this age than the heavier/more substantial gloves. If she can handle a bigger glove then great, but an 11" glove is plenty big to handle an 11" ball.

For backpack, I'm sure that each brand makes something similar, but the Demarini is very good.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2013
My DD grew up using the Mizuno Prospect series as well. They are light and ready to use. They also have smaller hand wells (where the hand fits into the glove). Very good, especially for petit girls. Does no good to catch a ball and the glove fall off of your hand.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA