Showcase Team Looking for "A" level Pitcher & Short Stop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
In our area 16/18U is when the number of teams contracts and roster go from 12-14 to 14-16. Most pissed off dads already started new 12U teams.....

JAD if the 16U team my DD is on could roster 14-16 we would. The players around here think short term and not long term. We had 2 leave and they were 2 of the older girls so come spring if they had been doing their emails, phone calls and attending camps they would have got more playing time than the younger girls. But they up and left because they didn't start every game on Sunday in our last tournament. We played 3 they started 1 and played in the other 2. That's not good enough around here.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
JAD if the 16U team my DD is on could roster 14-16 we would. The players around here think short term and not long term. We had 2 leave and they were 2 of the older girls so come spring if they had been doing their emails, phone calls and attending camps they would have got more playing time than the younger girls. But they up and left because they didn't start every game on Sunday in our last tournament. We played 3 they started 1 and played in the other 2. That's not good enough around here.

We have 14 on our roster and are scrambling to get 9 to play this weekend. Three are seniors in high school and are playing in the GHSA All-Star game and two are going to college camps. If everyone wants to be a starter every game you are going to spread the talent so thin that very few teams will be considered "good" and injuries could be catastrophic.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
We have 14 on our roster and are scrambling to get 9 to play this weekend. Three are seniors in high school and are playing in the GHSA All-Star game and two are going to college camps. If everyone wants to be a starter every game you are going to spread the talent so thin that very few teams will be considered "good" and injuries could be catastrophic.

That's the local issue. No one wants to be a role player and be developed. It's a struggle.

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
Saw another announcement today along the lines of some of these.

"We already have a good core of girls and are looking to build a top notch team. " and "all positions open" both in the same announcement. Apparently those "good core girls" should be aware that they may be replaced.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Saw another announcement today along the lines of some of these.

"We already have a good core of girls and are looking to build a top notch team. " and "all positions open" both in the same announcement. Apparently those "good core girls" should be aware that they may be replaced.

Every player on every good team should know this. The only reason to keep getting better is to know that the coach is looking for someone to replace you if you don't. High level teams looking to get players into college owe this to their players in order to prepare them to compete for playing time in college.

Jun 12, 2015
Yeah, that seems to be pretty normal in higher level teams. I have no doubt my DD's coach would bump any one of our current team members if a better player came along. It's a trade off for a higher level of play. For the really competitive girls it keeps them on their toes.

May 13, 2012
Yeah, that seems to be pretty normal in higher level teams. I have no doubt my DD's coach would bump any one of our current team members if a better player came along. It's a trade off for a higher level of play. For the really competitive girls it keeps them on their toes.

Will this coach be complaining if or when 2 or 3 leave for greener pastures?

Jun 12, 2015
Will this coach be complaining if or when 2 or 3 leave for greener pastures?

I really am not sure if he would or not but probably ;) But knowing you're replaceable doesn't inspire loyalty so I feel like they don't have much right to complain when they lose players they aren't committed to. Seems to be the nature of the beast above B level ball.

May 13, 2012
I really am not sure if he would or not but probably ;) But knowing you're replaceable doesn't inspire loyalty so I feel like they don't have much right to complain when they lose players they aren't committed to. Seems to be the nature of the beast above B level ball.

Not a lot of what is considered high level travel ball here so loyalty is more prevalent. There are a few teams that try out every year but not many. I understand the you can be replaced motivation. Just been so many threads from someone on a team or coach about key players leaving causing grief for the members that are left. Then the threads about certain players bringing a team down but they aren't replaced. As I have read many times here team: goals, rules, objectives and how these will be approached isn't made clear up front.

May 24, 2013
So Cal

That has been our experience and observation, too.

DD's HC has a clear policy of "all spots are earned". This doesn't mean that you will instantly be replaced if a better player shows up tomorrow, but it does mean that you need to keep proving yourself at your position. It also means that you have the opportunity to earn another position. IMO, HC gets the balance right to keep players pushing themselves to improve their skills, and also recognizing those who are determined and dedicated. Of the 12 players we had on the roster in November, at least 10 of them will be back for our first team practice this week.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA