Shoulder pain advise

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2009
ok it has been over a month now.....

I wanted to follow up and say that it has been over a month now, since my daughter has played softball. I have not let her pitch or throw since she has hurt her arm. she has been doing stretches (that the chiropractor and sports doctor recommended, but no throwing). She has no pain at all just stretching or anything. Saturday, we had her throw some to see if her arm was better. she gradually warmed up her arm very slowly. We threw for about 5 minutes without any pain, but after 5 minutes she felt the sharp pain. The pain is located on the pectoral muscle, really more on the chest area rather than the shoulder. It is now starting to concern me because a pulled muscle should have healed by now. I am going to call the sports medicine Doctor tomorrow and see if we can schedule an MRI. Has anyone been through this? Any advise for a concerned mom? thanks

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Its not acting like a pulled muscle because its not. You said previously that it was diagnosed as tendinitis. I think your ida to see a sports medicine doctor is a good one.

Good luck to you and your daughter.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I would love to see a video of her overhand throw. Because, the pain that you describe in the pectoral, could be a problem with her throwing, not pitching.

I am sorry that she is going through this at such a young age.

Jul 9, 2010
As I have said here before, go the sports ortho, get an MRI, and find out what is wrong - it is not worth more injury. My pitcher DD had a similar problem (pain in shoulder, compensated, created pain elsewhere) and we did the therapy thing. I ended up letting her play hurt for a couple of months, which I deeply regret.

She had a tear in her rotator cuff interval, which needed a stich to repair. Also, he tightened her capsule while there, to prevent it from happening again. It originated with genetic laxity in her shoulder that eventually gave way and created the tear.

It's just not worth goofing around with intermediate steps - get the film, and see what's wrong.

Jun 10, 2010
midwest
I was going to say that sometimes tendinitis is a secondary problem. You have done the right thing so far and are on the right path taking the next steps. Also remember whether tendinitis, tear or something else. Sometimes it takes more than a month to heal and rehab (alot of factors involved there). Good luck to your DD.

Oct 22, 2009
I had a beginner pitcher have to take a couple of months off because of shoulder pain. They did not know if she injured her shoulder overhand or underhand throwing. But her doctor said she needed to strengthen the shoulder.
She recently came back to pitching only to have the pain come back last week.
I do not believe it is overuse, as she is a beginner and not pitching in games. She's not pitching drops.
I've watched her motion and she gets open, doesn't seem to be anything wrong with her mechanics.
I'm waiting to here back from her dad to see what the doctor says.
She said she felt a pop during her arm circle.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Elizabeth, This possibility is from out in right field for sure. The bicep tendon goes through a hole in the bone of the shoulder. That hole is exactly the right diameter for the tendon. If the tendon gets even slightly enflamed, it swells and rubs on that bone and the pain can be mild or more severe.

Now, the end of the collar bone sort of floats in the shoulder socket. It is right next to the bicep tendon in the shoulder. If the tendon swells OR the muscles in the shoulder tighten up alot, the collar bone can be pulled over and actually touch the tendon. When that happens, there is alot of discomfort in the upper pectoral region of the chest. At least that was what it was like for me.

I know this first hand from a roll over accident I was in in 1986. Many injuries including a torn bicep tendon.

Many times a good general practitioner will refer an athlete to a good and experienced PHYSICAL THERAPIST for additional helo in diagnosis. The PT can put her through several series of excersises that isolate particular muscles, mucles groups, etc and pinpoint what is strained, torn or whatever.

Good luck to her.

Hal

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan