Should pitchers be allowed to hit.....?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 16, 2014
My daughter is a 2015 P in a local So Cal up an coming travel club. She was brought up from 16s to 18s this past summer to help with the pitching staff. Eventually she was given a permanent spot on the roster of the 18gold team. While she was on the 16s she was the ACE pitcher and was allowed to hit on the regular basis. She was a HR power hitter. But when she was asked to come up to 18s her ABS were cut about 90%. Now just to give you a little background, was a big hitter before she even pitched. She only started pitching when she was 13. Now she is 16 and verballed to a D1 university. I know that deep down she is hitter first and that I love seeing her hit. I feel that her batting potential is going to waste sitting on the bench. More recently she has had 2 ABS in the last 60 innings. I think her 6 no hitters in the fall should have reward her a line spot at least for one game per weekend. UNACCEPTABLE....? What do you think, jump ship or not.....!

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Sounds like she's there to pitch....period
Maybe they want to protect her from additional potential exposure to injury. If she wants to be a hitter too like Rickets or Traina, maybe this isn't the team for her. I would start by having HER talk to the coach and explain how she thinks she can contribute to the team at the plate, and how important it is to her. If he flat out shoots her down, then you two will have a decision to make.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I think her 6 no hitters in the fall should have reward her a line spot at least for one game per weekend.

I don't think this entitles her to anything. That would be like the team's best hitter saying she deserved an inning or two just because she also can pitch.

Otherwise, I can understand your frustration. CJ's advice above is pretty spot on.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
This is what I don't like about coaches and to some extent sports. Why have an excellent hitter on the bench? Just because she is a pitcher? No way. The avoiding injury argument is tired. There are countless ways she could potentially get hurt pitching, or driving, or walking, goofing off with friends etc and then what? Dump her because she can't pitch anymore and let go a good hitter? Situations like these just boggle my mind. If you are a fan of one trick ponies then by all means stay. I want people/players that can contribute in more than one way regardless of what their specialty may be.

At the end of the day, it is a game for the kids playing it. Let them play and lose the guise that you are protecting them from injury and securing their future crap.

If you know your DD well enough to know deep down she is a hitter then I would find a team that would let her hit. If she is complaining about not hitting then there is resentment building in her already and she may lose her passion for the game before she gets to the D1 school that is going to realize quick her heart isn't in it anymore.

Just my $.02 worth.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2013
Since she verbally already to a D1 school maybe the coach is giving other players some exposure?

That said I would ask the coach and if she wants to hit but will not on this Team see if she can make a friendly break with this Team.

Jul 10, 2013
Just to answer slappers reply, You are right it is a game and that is why there are teams in class "C","B","A","GOLD",and"ELITE. You want to have fun and hit then maybe a "C" team is right for you.
Now to the real question in your post you said " I know deep down in side ", " I feel "," I love seeing her bat" and " I think". You don't really say what your dd wants. You said she has verbally committed to a D1 school and I assume that it is for pitching. What happens in college if she can not hit ? It seems that you want your cake and eat it too. Let me just throw this out there for thought. You said your dd threw 6 no hitters in fallball could that be because she is not hitting and does not have to worry about that part of the game and can concentrate more on pitching. If my dd was a pitcher and throwing as good as your dd is I would say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Nov 1, 2013
Ohio
Same situation for my dd. Promised she would be able to hit and pitch and work another position on past two travel teams. To her frustration she just pitched the last two summers. She is signed to a D2. She decided now is not the time to settle. Found a team that not only gives her pitching time but lets and teaches her how to be a hitter. The icing on the cake is who knew she was a great 2nd baseman too. Hard to change teams for her, we instill loyalty and commitment in my house, but worked out for the best in the long run. My advise, if SHE wants to hit, change teams.

May 31, 2012
If she wants to hit. She needs to be on a team that will let her hit. Will she hit in college?

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Same situation for my dd. Promised she would be able to hit and pitch and work another position on past two travel teams. To her frustration she just pitched the last two summers. She is signed to a D2. She decided now is not the time to settle. Found a team that not only gives her pitching time but lets and teaches her how to be a hitter. The icing on the cake is who knew she was a great 2nd baseman too. Hard to change teams for her, we instill loyalty and commitment in my house, but worked out for the best in the long run. My advise, if SHE wants to hit, change teams.

Loyalty and commitment is a two way street. Too many coaches expect it - when it needs to be earned - but don't reciprocate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877