Should I get a pitching mat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2012
Hi guys ! I'm taking pitching lessons in a gym with wood floors and my dad wants to buy me a pitching mat. My pitching coach doesn't care if I get one or not because he doesn't think it would help much, but he's not against it. I was wondering what your opinion is, would it help much ? (Btw, I am U14)

Thank you very much :) !!

Jun 24, 2009
Yes it would be good to have a pitching mat. You can develop some bad habits not having the rubber to push from.

Nov 14, 2011
I firmly believe that you need a pitching mat if you are trying to practice like play. You can develop some real bad habits by practicing without a rubber. It is well worth the investment.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
A pitching mat is good but just duck taping a plate on the wood floor is almost as good and a lot cheaper.

Edit to add: I do not like lugging a lot of stuff around but I am lazy. DD has a pitching bucket that has all the pitching stuff whether it is indoor or outdoor. You wouldn’t think it would be too hard to grab a pitching mat when she is pitching inside but again I am lazy.

Last edited:
May 17, 2012
Do you NEED a pitching mat, I would say no. You might get a rubber that you can throw down to push off of.

The only issue I have with my DD pitching indoors is that when she wears tennis shoes she tends to not get her back foot all the way up on the toes (think of a ballerina) as the tennis shoes are less forgiving than her cleats.

Hope that makes sense.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I like a mat, especially on a gym floor for several reasons. First there's a power line to help gauge your stride foot is landing at the correct angle and is staying towards the catcher. Secondly, there is an actual rubber to drive off of. And third, the astro turf will keep you from either sticking or sliding too much when the stride foot lands. They are pretty expensive usually around $250-300, and mine weight at least 40lbs... but we love it and I would recommend getting one. Remember practice makes permanent, so if you are compromising you fundamentals to adjust to your environment, you may be developing some bad habits. Good luck, James

Apr 13, 2010
Even with a pitching rubber "taped" to the floor a gym floor is a horrible surface to practice pitching on. I highly recommend a mat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie