Should I buy her a catcher's mitt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 20, 2011
As a follow up, I spoke with DD's clinic coach about getting her a mitt. He actually recommends getting her a first baseman's mitt. He thinks they are more flexible and will give her more options for catching and scooping. Another wrinkle in the fabric!

Thoughts?

DD plays both catcher and 1B and she definitely can tell the difference between her two mitts. Doesn't feel any sting with the catcher mitt and her thumb is better protected.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
As a follow up, I spoke with DD's clinic coach about getting her a mitt. He actually recommends getting her a first baseman's mitt. He thinks they are more flexible and will give her more options for catching and scooping. Another wrinkle in the fabric!

Thoughts?

There are a fair number of girls that used a FB mitt when they first started out catching, not the best tool for the job IMHO.
I haven't a clue what kind of "scooping" he expects her to do behind the plate, it's a red flag to me.

Feb 24, 2012
And she has no trouble with the size and weight of the GXS?

None at all, sticks and frames with wrist very well. It has been a great glove for her since 9yo year. I saw a couple other girls using same glove when we were at ASA/USA last Summer.

Feb 5, 2013
Just to follow up ... I purchased the Mizuno GXS92 for her. Nice quality mitt and pretty soft right out of the box!

Went right out for a catch with DD and she had no trouble catching the ball without any break in. That said, her thumb was sore after about 5 minutes of squeezing pitches. I'm guessing that once it's broken in more, that issue will resolve itself.

For comparison, this 34" mitt is just slightly larger than the 12.5" fielders glove she has been using for both catching and the field. I just started the break in with some Nokona conditioner. It's already softened and flattened a little bit. I'm debating going the steaming route, although having not done it before. (I have used the Hot Glove treatment on gloves in the past, so I don't know why I'm worrying about it too much.)

I'm very hopeful that this will be a great mitt for her. So thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Just FYI: make sure she squeezes the mitt closed before tightening the wrist strap. Fighting the strap to close on the ball is not fun.
Also good to have her try to shake the ball out of the mitt so she gets an idea how much/little pressure she needs to secure the ball.

Feb 5, 2013
Just FYI: make sure she squeezes the mitt closed before tightening the wrist strap. Fighting the strap to close on the ball is not fun.
Also good to have her try to shake the ball out of the mitt so she gets an idea how much/little pressure she needs to secure the ball.

Nice tips, thanks!

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Originally Posted by Grogger31

Thoughts?

Scooping baddddddddd... VERY BAD!

Feb 5, 2013
I agree with you guys. I coach my teams' catchers to strictly block. That said, this guy is the middle school coach in our town ... so, while I ignored his advice about the first baseman's mitt, I'm going to keep my mouth closed about it. Attempting to leave a good impression :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes