Should I buy her a catcher's mitt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
Sometimes dicks sporting goods will have a few, they are most likely getting ready to roll out their softball line.

Feb 5, 2013
@Perfect Circle - Too big to be a catcher? I didn't think that was an issue .. hehe

@nanotech - Went to Dicks with her last year. They had the Mizuno GXS101 which seemed a bit too small ... as well as another forgettable model that was hard as a rock. A 14 month break in period isn't an option. :)

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Absolutely yes, go buy a mitt. If shes got all the other gear then she IS a catcher... buy the mitt and study the correct fundamentals of setting up, framing, and blocking etc... you'll be glad you did

Feb 5, 2013
Thanks Coach James.

Thanks Amy. I used to play Men's softball at a fairly high level and know about Vinci. Great gloves, but a tough investment for a girl that might be at another position in a year.

Any other specific glove recommendations? She already moved up to 12 inch softballs this fall, so I want something big enough for them but nothing huge or heavy. (And yes, I know I'm probably going to have to find some for her to try out)

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Thanks Coach James.

Thanks Amy. I used to play Men's softball at a fairly high level and know about Vinci. Great gloves, but a tough investment for a girl that might be at another position in a year.

Any other specific glove recommendations? She already moved up to 12 inch softballs this fall, so I want something big enough for them but nothing huge or heavy. (And yes, I know I'm probably going to have to find some for her to try out)

We don't Play without the SSK :{))

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Ebay is your friend! Or try a Play it Again Sports/Boomerang location. I bought a used Nokona catchers mitt 3 years ago for $75 and I still use it today! I will pay to have it re-laced when necessary, but it has 3 years of 500+ pitches per week on it already and is still going strong.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Yep... Play it again!!! Thats where I got the SSK in 1999. It was for DD's brother, a baseball pitcher, made it all the way through HS w/ him and almost 7yrs with DD now. It is one of our superstitious things. Its been the Gold Glove for two Gold Gloves... :{))
perfect-circle-albums-my-pics-picture2654-img-1709-smart-object-1.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I bought a Wilson A1000 for my tb team, (black with a solid pocket) it was on sale for about $75, regular about $95, its not the best, but it is a really good glove for the money. It was pretty stiff when I got it, but after an hour of steaming it on the stove and some glove oil... its ok now. Havent had it very long so Im not sure on the longevity of it, but so far its been a good buy.

Jul 9, 2009
IL

Amy, this is a great glove but in no way should a beginner start off with using it. It takes a very long time to break in. I stood in front of a pitching machine quite a few nights trying to get one ready to go. My DD has used hers for a year and it still is solid as a rock.

If your daughter takes to catching and it looks like it's something she'll do long term, Vinci would be a great mitt. But it's not a mitt to get when someone is learning how to catch.

I don't know the break in period on this Worth, but if it's like the Liberty Advanced, it would be a good option if you can get it for a low price. It would also hold up long enough to where you could gradually break in the Vinci.

Worth Fastpitch Catcher's Glove | eBay

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad