Should I buy her a catcher's mitt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2013
I like the idea of getting her a used glove, but the pickings are pretty slim on eBay. There are no Play It Again stores near me, unfortunately.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I bought a Wilson A1000 for my tb team, (black with a solid pocket) it was on sale for about $75, regular about $95, its not the best, but it is a really good glove for the money. It was pretty stiff when I got it, but after an hour of steaming it on the stove and some glove oil... its ok now. Havent had it very long so Im not sure on the longevity of it, but so far its been a good buy.

Hey Coach, would you mind telling me how you steam it on the stove? I always got the fan on on our stove making beans and distilled water, might be able to do two things at once... :{))

How to Make Distilled Water: 18 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2013
Maryland
Hey Coach, would you mind telling me how you steam it on the stove? I always got the fan on on our stove making beans and distilled water, might be able to do two things at once... :{))

How to Make Distilled Water: 18 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow

I use the microwave break in method for all of our gloves. It even worked for correcting a glove that was broken in incorrectly.

You oil the glove up really well (expecially the laces), petroleum jelly works well too, you can also use shaving cream. Place the glove in a plastic bag (grocery store bag or small trash bag works well. Then you tie it off. You place it in the microwave for 2 minutes. If the bag is not hot to the touch, add time in 1 minute intervals until it is. Take the bag out of the microwave, open it up. When the glove is cool enough to the touch that its not too hot to put your hand in place your hand in it and start working it with a ballmallett. While its still warm you can flex the leather to your liking. It will take 2-3 rounds to get a glove to were you want it. But it works.

I bought my husband a Rawlings Mitt on clearance at Wal-Mart for $12 (org. $84) to use when catching DD, or the other girls on our TB team. The glove was very very stiff and did not seem to want ot break in the "old fashioned way". Used the microwave method on it 4 times and the glove is perfect. Infact DD who is a pitcher and hasn't caught in over a year is now arguing with DH that she wants the glove as her own because she loves the feel of it.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
I agree with finding one of the GXS Mizuno's that she likes, The mitts break in quickly even without steaming, and the design holds the ball well. GXS92,GSX53 are the most popular.

Size seems daunting on catcher's mitts, but a 33" cm is comparable to an 11" fielders mitt, and the largest are only 34.5 which is about 11.5".

Getting one to fit her hand is usually the trick.

Feb 5, 2013
@guero_gordo - That's interesting about the fielding glove size comparison. She has a 12" fielders mitt now which she uses for catching also (which is the reason a got her a farily large glove for her size).

Agree we'll have to find a glove that fits her well, but your feeling is that she won't have too many size/weight issues if she's already using a 12" glove? Or hard to say?

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I use the microwave break in method for all of our gloves. It even worked for correcting a glove that was broken in incorrectly.

You oil the glove up really well (expecially the laces), petroleum jelly works well too, you can also use shaving cream. Place the glove in a plastic bag (grocery store bag or small trash bag works well. Then you tie it off. You place it in the microwave for 2 minutes. If the bag is not hot to the touch, add time in 1 minute intervals until it is. Take the bag out of the microwave, open it up. When the glove is cool enough to the touch that its not too hot to put your hand in place your hand in it and start working it with a ballmallett. While its still warm you can flex the leather to your liking. It will take 2-3 rounds to get a glove to were you want it. But it works.

I bought my husband a Rawlings Mitt on clearance at Wal-Mart for $12 (org. $84) to use when catching DD, or the other girls on our TB team. The glove was very very stiff and did not seem to want ot break in the "old fashioned way". Used the microwave method on it 4 times and the glove is perfect. Infact DD who is a pitcher and hasn't caught in over a year is now arguing with DH that she wants the glove as her own because she loves the feel of it.

Thankz I have put it to use already... I wish people would start with the glove. Those poor little girls playing rec first time, with a rock hard, giant basket !!! :{(((

Apr 1, 2010
Great thoughts everyone.

A friend of hers has the Mizuno GXS101 and loves it. My concern is it seems a little small (at 32.5") for a 12 inch ball this year. I've heard good things about the GSX92, but was concerned it might be too big (34"). We don't have a lot of stores that carry fastpitch catcher's mitts so it makes it hard to go try them on.

DD had a smaller glove at 10U. An Easton Stealth, I think? It's a fine glove for the younger girls. She loved it, but the bigger balls really wanted to pop right out. We were at a catcher's clinic with redhotcoach's daughter and noticed that the balls stuck like glue in her mitt. (It wasn't all mitt, naturally, she is awesome at sticking the pitches.) They let DD try it on--it was a Mizuno GSX92. It fit her well, and we went out to find one.

The GSX92 does say it's 34", but it really doesn't seem huge. It's light-weight for a catcher's mitt, is far less stiff starting out than most and just seems to swallow up the ball.

We got DD's at a local shop that also will steam them for you. Hers felt pretty good right off the shelf, but it was game-ready by the time we walked out.

Steaming is wonderful! I agree with the folks who are recommending it. Have you tried Dick's? I was in ours the other day and saw that they now have a glove steamer. I don't know if that's an individual store amenity or whether they've started to put them in everywhere. IMO they should--it would be a big plus for glove-buyers.

DD tried on a Diamond 32.5" iX3 once back when she was about 10 and liked the way it felt. She tried on a Nokona 32.5" mitt back around age 11 and thought it seemed too small.

Have you looked at justballgloves.com? I remember a poster here who lived somewhere without much selection and they sent out several gloves (with free shipping) so that his/her daughter could try them on and then just send back the ones they didn't want.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
The Mizuno GSX92 is outstanding and well priced. Best value for money out there.

I use one as a coach and all my 10U travel catchers kept taking it from me and using it during games until I made their parents buy their own.

Can't recommend it highly enough. Great glove.

Feb 5, 2013
@MsDinosaur - Thanks for the response. I've seen justballgloves.com. I'll have to look and see if I could do something similar to the other poster.

@Marriard - Great info

To both of you, can I ask how big your DD's were when they used the GSX92? As I mentioned early in the post, my DD is a peanut at 4'9" and 80 pounds. Thanks!

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
@guero_gordo - That's interesting about the fielding glove size comparison. She has a 12" fielders mitt now which she uses for catching also (which is the reason a got her a farily large glove for her size).

Agree we'll have to find a glove that fits her well, but your feeling is that she won't have too many size/weight issues if she's already using a 12" glove? Or hard to say?

Yes, IMHO she can get used to the size of the outside if her hand fits the inside.
I wouldn't tell you to ignore weight, only your DD can gauge that.
I do know C is already working harder than anyone else on the field, if glove weight affects her receiving technique or endurance, she will not be happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
christian_softballdad3298