shortstop body type

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Most (not all) of my prerequisites for a SS are covered here. If I didn't have another girl who covered more of them, this girl would be my starting SS.

BTW, height doesn't appear anywhere on my list for SS. It may for a few other positions, but SS isn't one of them.

Jun 26, 2012
I worry about my DD being judged on size all the time but I think it puts a chip on her shoulder.

She is almost 15, 4'-11" and about 105 lbs but well built, quick and a natural lefty. But... alot of the girls she plays against are 5-6"-6'-0" 150 lbs. I feel the coach only wants power but she can slap and drag bunt with the best of them...

Oct 22, 2009
So, even if you are one of those who ascribe body types to certain positions, I've never heard a profiler looking for a larger girl at SS. OP's coach is odd in several ways.

My DD's college coach, did look for body types for positions.

She liked BIG corners, BIG pitchers and catchers, and her outfield and middle infielders small. She was pretty old school, but had started to sway in her later years and made exceptions for my DD--Pitcher= NOT big. She accepted a pretty small catcher as well.

My DD had a really great friend that was BIG, played a lot of first base. She played for Florida and played outfield.

Our 18u SS, was small. described just the way you say yours is. FAST as lightening. I always told her in college she'd be moved into the outfield. She did play Top D1, in the outfield.

Oct 22, 2009
OMG-don't even start on coaches and 'body type'. When DD was 9yo she was on a team looking to
develop pitchers. Her coach at the time said 'sorry you don't have the right body type to pitch'.
As a result, I got sucked into the vortex of coaching and DD is a successful 18U pitcher committed
to college in the fall as a pitcher. Who in their right mind tells a child they have the wrong body type for
any position? I believe that character-heart-hardwork define a player more than physical stature in most cases.

Best part? She pitched against this coach's dd in HS and struck her out every time she faced her.

My grandmother owned a dance studio when I was little. She was a tough old coot--imagine Dance Mom's, Abby.
When I was about 7, I asked her if I could take dance lessons.
She said, "You're not built to be a dancer, hon. You're built to be a wrestler".:(

Jun 7, 2013
I worry about my DD being judged on size all the time but I think it puts a chip on her shoulder.

She is almost 15, 4'-11" and about 105 lbs but well built, quick and a natural lefty. But... alot of the girls she plays against are 5-6"-6'-0" 150 lbs. I feel the coach only wants power but she can slap and drag bunt with the best of them...

I see women this size listed as being at least 5' 2" tall in college fastpitch softball game programs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes