Shaved bat and what to do about it

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2010
Oregon
Gimme a break, boot the kid because the dad is an idiot egomaniac? Who cares if he apologizes. Remember, it's about the kids, right? Why crush a kid for something I bet she has NO CLUE about.

You know now. You have an appropriate size team bat for the player, she either uses the bat you provide, or she doesn't play. Should that same rule apply to all your players? Like one other poster said, I bet it happens WAY more than we think, given how easy it is to go online and find altered bats.

Dec 9, 2011
I agree with Amy ... IMO I would not have them on my team. Sorry but to me there is no 2nd chance on this. Dismiss ( I do feel for the kid)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
So the parent who is responsible for the cheating should disipline the little girl who didn't know she was cheating? Or her coach should disipline her? Or do "we" just let her know her parents are cheats?

Parenting

Really? You need someone to explain to you how to be a parent? How do you explain the disappearance of a pet, planned or otherwise, to an 8 yo? How do you explain why the 8 yo cannot watch a certain TV program or play a certain game?

In my world, it would be the parent's job, not the coach, not the grandparents, not the sweet little old lady in the concession stand and certainly not the government or educator, but the parent's job to explain what was wrong, why it was wrong and the repercussions of acting in that manner.

Regardless, there must be something tangible for the child to gain the perception she placed others in danger and that was wrong. I don't care if it is something as trivial as a week or tournament suspension or a year off, that should be up to the organization.

JMHO

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
All good stuff guys!! I actually found out from a friend that coaches a competitors team. Another dad, friends with my dad, told my friend he had one for his daughter that he got from my dad.

Something still is not adding up.

1. A competitor coach is making the claim on an altered bat.
2. One of your dads bought one of the shaved bats from this accused dad?

You either have some serious parental issues with multiple people using/purchasing altered bats, or you have a bunch of undocumented drama being stirred up by parents who probably know 1% of what they are talking about the equipment.

Cause here is the deal, I'm a big guy 6'1" 230. My homerun derby bat, will give me about an extra 50 feet of distance over a regulation bat. So I'm probably at least 3xs the weight of an 8u girl, plus 100xs the power. Even your best hitter at 8u is not going to see much difference at all, maybe about 5-10' ( high end ). Your worst batter probably won't see an inch.

This is a very curious thread. :)

Aug 14, 2012
the distance the bat gets is not relative is it? It is cheating and not allowed. the parent and I could be banned for life, the kid banned until 18 if caught in USSSA.

The other coach is friend that we play against in league and he was just told by his parent about it. I assume the dad thought the coach wouldn't care or he wouldnt have told him. The dad from the other team told the other coach that he got the bat from my teams dad.

sorry hope this makes sense

Dec 9, 2011
TheRogue yea I have booted kids because mom and dad were jerks. It is about the kids, the kids as a whole. You make it safe and fun for ALL the kids to the best of your ability. "should that rule apply to all your players" what does this mean? Using a shaved bat I would boot them. Yes I do feel for the kid but sometimes a tough punishment has to made to keep other parents from following the same route. It does happen but if your on my team and I catch you than your out. If I'm playing against you and I catch you than yes you will get reported and I will make sure League and division will get notified.

Dec 9, 2011
YEA But MTR what do you do when you have a parent that is a idiot???? MTR in the perfect world your plan is right. It should be a Parents job but abviously you haven't dealt with to many parents these days.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Parenting

Really? You need someone to explain to you how to be a parent? How do you explain the disappearance of a pet, planned or otherwise, to an 8 yo? How do you explain why the 8 yo cannot watch a certain TV program or play a certain game?

In my world, it would be the parent's job, not the coach, not the grandparents, not the sweet little old lady in the concession stand and certainly not the government or educator, but the parent's job to explain what was wrong, why it was wrong and the repercussions of acting in that manner.

Regardless, there must be something tangible for the child to gain the perception she placed others in danger and that was wrong. I don't care if it is something as trivial as a week or tournament suspension or a year off, that should be up to the organization.

JMHO

I am not, and did not ask for anyone to explain to me how to be a parent.
I am asking about this one case.

-parent cheats, has bat shaved.
-little girl unknowingly uses illegal shaved bat.
-you say little girl should be disciplined.
-I ask "who disciplines this innocent little girl"
- you turn it into proper parenting, and it's the parent's job.

So little girl who never knew her dad placed an illegal bat in her hands, should be disiplined by her dad, who gave her the illegal bat to use?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
the distance the bat gets is not relative is it?

No it's not relative. But here is my point.

At 8u I had 3 girls who could hit the ball a "good" 30+ feet than anyone else in the entire league. ( same group hit their way at 10u to place 2nd out of 400 teams in a WS ) Had zero to do with the bat, they were just great hitters for that age. That being said, I'm sure someone somewhere thought "my kid can't hit that far, so these kids must be cheating".

It is cheating and not allowed. the parent and I could be banned for life, the kid banned until 18 if caught in USSSA.

I totally agree. Just be cautious on filing formal complaints without some hard evidence. He said she said is not a great base to run with. And certainly not at 8u where more than half of the parents never played sports themselves and shoot their mouths off, not knowing how serious some "bleacher gossip" can turn ugly.

The dad from the other team told the other coach that he got the bat from my teams dad

This is the real strange part. First, people who really alter bats do not tell anyone the bat is juiced. You're talking chances of being banned for life, if someone gets injured.........lawsuits and possible jail time.

Second, who in the world would be so stupid to openly sell a juiced bat to a competitor's team. That's like advertising "out team uses these bats, that's why we are hitting so good...........you guys ought to buy a couple". For one, I wouldn't want my competition knowing we cheat. Second, I wouldn't want them to hit better to become more competitive. Third, I wouldn't want my players or my DD's safety jeopardized by supplying my competition an altered bat.

I do enjoy this thread, but I can promise you something is not right with this series of events. Just be cautious on how you handle it.

Aug 14, 2012
No it's not relative. But here is my point.

At 8u I had 3 girls who could hit the ball a "good" 30+ feet than anyone else in the entire league. ( same group hit their way at 10u to place 2nd out of 400 teams in a WS ) Had zero to do with the bat, they were just great hitters for that age. That being said, I'm sure someone somewhere thought "my kid can't hit that far, so these kids must be cheating".

I totally agree. Just be cautious on filing formal complaints without some hard evidence. He said she said is not a great base to run with. And certainly not at 8u where more than half of the parents never played sports themselves and shoot their mouths off, not knowing how serious some "bleacher gossip" can turn ugly.

This is the real strange part. First, people who really alter bats do not tell anyone the bat is juiced. You're talking chances of being banned for life, if someone gets injured.........lawsuits and possible jail time.

Second, who in the world would be so stupid to openly sell a juiced bat to a competitor's team. That's like advertising "out team uses these bats, that's why we are hitting so good...........you guys ought to buy a couple". For one, I wouldn't want my competition knowing we cheat. Second, I wouldn't want them to hit better to become more competitive. Third, I wouldn't want my players or my DD's safety jeopardized by supplying my competition an altered bat.

I do enjoy this thread, but I can promise you something is not right with this series of events. Just be cautious on how you handle it.

Dont have any hard evidence, other than he admitted it. Don't know what bat, what game or even how much. My report will be generic in nature to hopefully bring awareness to the directors.

Understand and yes I think this kid would be a good hitter with or without a shaved bat.

Don't know anything about mens slowpitch but around here it is evidently pretty common to use shaved bats and maybe that is why they have been so bold in their actions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah