Screw the Screwball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Hoping we haven't lost Hal. A bit crazy, but loved by many. Nunthia is clearly not Hal and offers an experienced perspective that once you can figure out what he's referring to, it becomes clear how much experience he has in our game. Opinionated? Yup! But once he nails the "reply with quote" option, I think his perspective and input will be a welcome compliment to DFP. I wish we could get more people like him to stop by and post their experiences.

Feb 7, 2013
Hello Bill, interesting article you have written. You definitely are a good writer. What is this hello elbow type pitch you are talking about that prevents them (girls) form throwing almost any movement pitch with true rotation?

Could you give me a demonstration of what you call a hello elbow pitch?

After watching Adam Folkard throw in many of his games he uses hello elbow from what I can see or am I looking at the wrong thing here.

I watched you pitch on youtube and from what I see you also do some hello elbow. I know this might be too hard for you to fathom since I never played at the high level you have (only was 140 at age 25 and 5'9) Not the 6'8 you are and your arms twice as long as mine but my pitching mechanics are very close to what you do except when you crow hop. Back in the 60s we were not allow to crow hop and had to start with both feet on the mound.

KenB - you think the above quote is anything but baiting Hillhouse? He asks what HE is, like he doesn't know, and then goes on to say that Folkard and Hillhouse use this technique?

Pretty typical troll post. You can play with him but I am done with this thread.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
KenB - you think the above quote is anything but baiting Hillhouse? He asks what HE is, like he doesn't know, and then goes on to say that Folkard and Hillhouse use this technique?

Pretty typical troll post. You can play with him but I am done with this thread.

I believe Nunthia is who he is: a former pitcher turned PC, with a lot of opinions on pitching. I may not agree with him on everything, but like Hal or X pitcher, I find things I appreciate. Once he gets the "reply with quote" option figured out, I think his participation will make more sense.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Eddie Feigner of King and his Court whom I have known and learned pitching from for 50 years always said "always keep you eye on the target throughout the windup and throw right through your delivery and afterwards. See the ball hit your target" This he calls CONTROL. On page 42 of his pitching manual.

Appreciate the advice.

Feel free to share more from that pitching manual.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I really hope Hal is alive and well and tracking those mid air reverse rise balls. He was a cranky bastard but he was OUR cranky bastard.

Nunthia-keep on trucking. I for one enjoy the multi-post drive-by contributions, I don't need to understand something to enjoy it. the fact that you are 80 and are out there saying you can handle 60 mph pitches makes you ok in my book. When I get that age, God willing, you will find me pretending to have dementia as I wander around women's fitting rooms asking if any of the ladies has seen my wife Esther. So you are already far more productive for your age than I plan to be.

Apr 12, 2015
As a matter of fact if you throw a rise with no spin it is more effective

I don't understand this.....wouldn't a riseball with no spin be something other than a riseball? Just a high pitch?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I don't understand this.....wouldn't a riseball with no spin be something other than a riseball? Just a high pitch?

A knuckle ball by any other name is still a knuckle ball. I think it is a mistake to automatically assume that a rise would be high. Like others I have had great results with the pitch thrown low in the zone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA