Scary Moment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Had a scary moment today in the tournament championship game. DD was up to bat in the 1st inning and took a first pitch heater to the helmet. I didn't think much of it other than thinking, "Damn, that was loud" to myself. However, she immediately started staggering around and then she stopped, stuck her arms out like she was groping for something in the dark, and then her knees buckled. I knew something was really wrong. Luckily, our 1st base coach was quick to get to her and he helped to keep her from falling. I got up and went out to where they had her laying down and she was loopy. The TD immediately called the paramedics. After about a minute she was able to sit up and answer questions. All the signs were good at that point. She was alert and clear thinking, but she said she was "queezy" and she was shaking. We took her off the field, sat her down, and continued to evaluate her while we waited for the ambulance.

When they arrived, the evaluated her and determined that she was in good shape, not needing to be transported. They gave me the usual list of signs to look for in a concussion and left.

DD sat in a lawn chair with family and friends comforting her for 4 innings before she felt close enough to "normal" to get up. Several times I heard, "Let's win this for Lexie!!" from the girls in the dugout. Then, after we took a brief walk together to chat, she joined her sisters in the dugout where she received a lot of hugs, cheers, and encouragement. Her teammates went on to win the game (and the tournament) and the TD gave her the game ball. :)

BTW, she is doing really well and her mother and I will be monitoring her closely for a few days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877