Scapular Loading vs. SNF

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
yee3_zps1c123852.gif

Jen keeps her coil and increases it as she moves out. Her zipper compress against her rear leg pocket. Her center of gravity lowers. Her rear leg moves her out as one unit.

bd3_zps6609da09.gif

Your dd strides out with her front leg. I personally no longer use the word stride...it achieves exactly what your dd is doing. I use the words "move out" instead.
Her stride is pulling her zipper away from her rear leg pocket...losing the stretch/coil. Her center of gravity is raising.

I think with the simple instruction of "try to keep your zipper pressed against your pocket", she will have to move out as a unit, hold the coil, and her center of gravity will stay low.

Thanks RHC. Yes I agree she needs to work on loading the back hip better during her negative move.
Check out, maybe point out, how Jen coils as she is moving out.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2012
Thanks RHC. Yes I agree she needs to work on loading the back hip better during her negative move.

In regards to the front leg reach leaking the stretch I am having her try and land on the inside ball of the foot when she strides. But it doesnt seem to be working with her. She normally strides with her front foot open at 45 degree angle.

Perhaps, I should have her stride with her front foot more closed to prevent leaking the stretch ?? Any thoughts on that ?

She is still out of sequence and your understanding/application of sequence is still out of sequence based on your words here:)

She should not be loading her hip better during her negative move. That just allows her to unload the rear hip immediately during the forward move. Which is what we see.

She should not be trying to land on or do anything with the front leg to stride. That causes a front leg dominated move out putting stretch in the wrong place (between front leg and rear upper). Which is what we see.

Coiling - Loading - Launching
Coil - Stretch - Separate

She can keep her negative move, but stay neutral in doing it

She should start coiling as the start of the sequence in her positive move. Coiling timing the ball.

Coiling... NOT LOADING. That means start your coiling without loading/stretching your hands with your hands against the front leg reaching with the front leg. Let the hands go along for the ride of coiling, and let the front leg be moved by the act of coiling. While you are coiling maintain a stable rear leg by applying inward pressure, or compression between pocket and zipper (nice one RHC!).

Later, after you have started coiling, Using that 'along for the ride' action of the hands from the coiling, which is already rearward, have the same intent/action that she has now in her upper to begin actively loading/stretching against the rear leg driving (not against the front leg). Rear leg keeps compressing pocket to zipper the whole way, rear hip on up keeps resisting the whole way.

I'd go with that for now and see how that impacts the launching downstream. Simple terms.... coil forward first, then stretch.

EDIT: This is follow up to this post in the other thread:
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...7-10yo-dd-trying-get-more-snf.html#post202749

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

In regards to the front leg reach leaking the stretch I am having her try and land on the inside ball of the foot when she strides. But it doesnt seem to be working with her. She normally strides with her front foot open at 45 degree angle.

Perhaps, I should have her stride with her front foot more closed to prevent leaking the stretch ?? Any thoughts on that ?

As I tried to explain to you in the past ..... she would benefit from learning to continue loading the rear leg during her positive move (inclusive of a coil would be good). You didn't get it then ... but RHC seems to be trying to get you the message, and perhaps this time it will sink in.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
It looks like her swing is disjointed. She steps, lunges out and then opens her hips so she can build a platform for an arms swing. Her hands are leading her body at toe touch not the other way around. I agree with the others, work on coiling, think hands still going back as the front foot strides, use less stride, let the coil unleash into a more closed front foot an then let it can roll over like the Bonds gif above. Put it together and she'll be something else.

Aug 20, 2013
Question from a novice.....should she be picking that back foot up or should her foot just turn? Just curious. I get why the block is there to avoid the "squish" but I haven't seen anyone say to pick the foot up and turn. We are just gearing up for a real thorough hitting practice this week and just want clarification. Thanks in advance...

GG

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Don't put a whole lot of weight into what the back foot does or doesn't do. Some hitters it gets up on the toe, some it dosen't, some it gets off the ground, some it goes up and forward, some back.
Actually if you looked at several swings of one good hitter...you would probably see several different rear foot actions.

If you see some weight shifting, and don't get a spin out feeling when looking at her swing, she probably isn't bug squishing. If you do end up doing a type of snf drill, and she carries even a little bit of that into her normal swing, there will be little chance that she bug squishes.

While on rear foot subject, there is a girl I know of, hit somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 homeruns in 18u as a 14-15 year old, all the vids I can find of her homeruns, she dosen't come up on her toe on any of them.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Give her the thought of using her back and back muscles to swing...and as weird as it sounds...until you have an aha moment...the thought of never pushing forward with anything.
braunsnf_zpsd5f81857.gif

I'm coming to my own ah ha moment with the rear foot and hip action, and their connection with the pull by the muscles in the back. I have believed that a push from the rear foot was important in driving (pushing) the rear hip forward. It seems that I have been wrong.

May 29, 2013
Op, to aid her in getting the feel for rear hip load, try having her put her rear foot on the front edge of that brick behind her and lean into that hip a couple times. Don't swing from the brick, just get the feel for the hip load. Then see if she can get that same feel with her feet on the ground.

Aug 20, 2013
I also am trying to get my DD to feel the load for the SnF. I put the tee behind her and told her to try and sit just her right but cheek on the tee while standing in the batting position. Does that sound at all right??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207