Scapular Loading vs. SNF

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2012
My 10yo DD has been working on Scap loading a little bit and it seems to have helped her gain batspeed. We have also noticed that she is able to hit changeups better by holding the scapular load a little longer.

[video=youtube_share;9bLI4PdrNn4]http://youtu.be/9bLI4PdrNn4[/video]

In relation to the front foot when should the Scapula be fully loaded ?

Is their a difference between Scapular Loading and SNF ?

Thx,
batdragon

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
IMO for the snf to reach the barrel, the scap must be compressed or pinched to the spine. Continue to resist the upper half and continue to pinch the scap. If not, you get a push swing or an armish swing.

It will get released...but the thought of releasing it never comes to my mind.
Absolutely hold it longer...continue resisting on off speed, but don't think about pushing it...let the snf launch the barrel.

Scap loading isn't the best discription of the action...since you don't forcefully unload it. Scap load has been the term used in the forums for awhile. Scap pinch, is probably a better description of compress the scap against the spine.

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Give her the thought of using her back and back muscles to swing...and as weird as it sounds...until you have an aha moment...the thought of never pushing forward with anything.
braunsnf_zpsd5f81857.gif

It doesn't happen as much on inside pitches, but an over the plate to outside pitch a lot of high level hitter's heads are pulled backwards as the barrel is going through the zone. They whip the barrel forward, not push the barrel. If you were cracking a bull whip at someone, you wouldn't get the best effect by pushing the handle at them.
denyitcab_zpsb44f01cc.gif

bondsturn2_zpsae7896c7.gif

braunhead_zpsfdb6685d.gif

It is non existent in most amateur swings.

Maybe it's just me, from trying to duplicate this stuff, but my body natural does this same motion when trying to skip a rock long distance. It's worth a try.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
My 10yo DD has been working on Scap loading a little bit and it seems to have helped her gain batspeed. We have also noticed that she is able to hit changeups better by holding the scapular load a little longer.

Thx,
batdragon

I like her swing. shes way ahead of most her age.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio

Thx,
batdragon

First she looks to be very athletic:D
Compare her point of impact and how close her lead arm distance from chest is to these.

Also look at the USA player and Casey's lead hand. See the hook (index finger) that is the grip we teach.

Casey verses Reading this one went over the fence.jpgaaron-hill.jpggrip (2).jpg

SL

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2012
The scap pinch can help tighten the connection of the rear hip stretch to the barrel swing. She dosen't have any stretch in the rear hip. Work on that...and don't let the front leg reach out leaking that stretch.

Thanks RHC. Yes I agree she needs to work on loading the back hip better during her negative move.

In regards to the front leg reach leaking the stretch I am having her try and land on the inside ball of the foot when she strides. But it doesnt seem to be working with her. She normally strides with her front foot open at 45 degree angle.

Perhaps, I should have her stride with her front foot more closed to prevent leaking the stretch ?? Any thoughts on that ?

Jan 25, 2011
Like Straightleg said, it looks like she is reaching out to far, if she would let the ball get deeper for contact. She looks great, tell her to keep working hard, it is paying off.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Nice....seeing another keeper clip I can use to show DD where we are going with the hands... and the application to live and a moving ball & not just the Tee...Here's what I'm seeing (in my narrowed "feet first Swing" only perspective)

BD...Looks like you stretched (widened) her out towards a no stride swing stance...I'm wrestling w/ Stride vs. No Stride myself after seeing/working on this lately. Going to ask DD if we want to change course today :{((( It still has the scroll over... that we worked soooo much on. I also seen an .gif on Noontime's blog of an early BB. I'm thinkin I see a progression to less emphasis on the "Scroll-Over/Rollover"... maybe it was just cause he had more lard for the yard...lol... but it's defiantly... inside ball to heal....and the heal being the "note" to let go of the bat with RH... so she can "muscle to mouth" and get more whip in the pony tail....(like the first clip) I want DD be ready to catch herself with the right hand when she really does start coming around as hard as BB, and should be falling down in the beginning.... JMHO

I would like to see the TnR pre-motion... JK... it got DD benched for refusing to "not do it"... and getting other trying it... LOL

I like the lead foot staying the same..on the path...back to pitcher, .... (ours is to work to... pointing @ SS)... and her staying back !!!

I like seeing... dropping the pigeon toe in the stance.

I would like to see the 1st logo of cleat on the inside... as the knee comes up a tad to the knob coming down to the bottom rib...and stepping out from under the hands...

PC_Jayla%20%28L%29.gif
6.gif

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207