Say yes or no to the face mask?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 31, 2014
IL
Westwind, not sure either how comparable BB is to SB for this either. The only subjective reasoning I could use is that the stats I quoted are for the MLB level which I would assume the ball speed / bat speed combo would create a situation that is at least as dangerous even at 60'6". And while not the MLB level, I can say that my period of observation / participation was at a higher level than what most of our girls are seeing in softball so the hitters definitely worked at their craft.

Would be nice if we had some stats on softball but obviously there is no MLB equivalent out there for softball.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Rules for wearing face masks? What's next? Restricting the ability of 9 year olds to fire Uzis on full auto?

Gotta go

Unfortunately restrictions will never fix stupid. They will always find a way around it or just find something equally as stupid. I have taught SMG and that was so wrong on so many levels. Forget that she was 9 years old. Give an SMG to an adult who has never fired a weapon?

Jul 23, 2014
As long as college scouts continue to tell me they aren't looking at girls who wear masks, I am not going to argue with any girl on my team who chooses not to wear one. Not that I would, anyway.

This surprises me, college scouts really don't evaluate any girls that wear masks? That seems odd to me that they would arbitrarily rule a player out on something like that.

This surprises me, college scouts really don't evaluate any girls that wear masks? That seems odd to me that they would arbitrarily rule a player out on something like that.
More than enough of them will tell you off the record that they don't want kids who wear masks. Enough that I imagine even more feel the same way, but keep it to themselves.

How many college players do you see wearing masks? How many DI players? Think about that for a moment ....

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
That is because in the grand scheme of things it will not affect the bottom line of the insurance company. If it did you can be sure they would be mandated.

Which is why it surprises me - because it DOES effect their bottom line and risk management there is normally really good even for things that don't effect their bottom line all that materially. Every lawsuit is generally reviewed by the insurance firms I have worked with and they are normally more than happy to add in less risk.

However, you would have to agree that when you drive you need to have a proper level of skill, pay attention, and be prepared to react quickly to any situation.

I WOULD agree. But apparently where I live you don't need any of these things to drive.

The same can be said for playing infield, especially corners. When a kid is flat footed, upright, and reacting to the ball after the first bounce they are demonstrating the softball equivalent of texting while driving. I think you would be hard pressed not to agree that such a player needs to further develop their skills and learn some better habits. Otherwise with or without a facemask they are probably going to get hurt.

Sure. No problem there. But then we develop all the skills they need. Masks are for the REAL-NO-WAY-TO-MOVE shot or for the really bad bounce/no chance to field ball for us. We do the development, because the development leads to outs, and outs leads to wins. Totally agree - the mask is not a replacement for skill or for skill development. I have yet to see any player intentionally use their mask to field the ball. But I have seen high quality fielders get hit in the mask with no chance of fielding the ball.

Just as a seat belt is not an excuse for not developing excellent driving habits and skills, a mask is not an excuse for not developing great fielding habits and skills.

And you may never need your seat belt in action ever - just as you may never need the mask in action. But that doesn't excuse not having it.

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
When DD was in 12u she wore a face mask and when she got to 14u, her team mate told her that some college coaches won't consider a player with a face mask because it shows a sign of weakness. I can believe that because most college games you see on tv, the majority of the players aren't wearing one. She now says she wants to get used to not wearing one because she wants to get used to showcase, she is wearing a mouth guard. I am just not sure if she should wear it or not and if colleges are getting looser about it.

Opinion from some D1 college coaches - watch this video.

What Do College Coaches Think Of Infielder Faceguards? - Fastpitch Softball TV Network

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie