Riseball videos .... please contribute riseball videos.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
Ken B
Can't say how many times I've watched Billy's video. Things that stood out to me:
-Pitch selection
-Commentator's knowledge of the game
-The high drop
-The low rise
-Pitch selection... (did I mention how impressed I was with the pitch selection?)
-How much I wish ESPN would show more Men's International FP...

i think the high/low rise, high/low drop, change up repertoire is that of an elite pitcher.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
There you go. The cat is out of the bag ... pun intended.

Cat acknowledges that she throws a "corkscrew fastball'.

Cat isn't the only one that teaches this. Nancy Evans is on record teaching a "corkscrew fastball" as well.

For many, this "corkscrew fastball" is the 'riseball'.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
When asked about 'grips', Cat describes two basic grips. That's it ... just two grips ... she doesn't go on-and-on to discuss more than just two basic grips ..... and she refers to these two grips as her "down spin grip" and her "cork screw grip".

Apr 12, 2015
is this IR?

Yes. Osterman and all elite pitchers (including Mrs. HE) throw with IR. No exceptions.

Are you saying she throws her riseball with bullet spin?

I certainly hope not. Osterman has beautiful 11/5 spin on her riseball as is shown in numerous videos, including the one below at around the 1:00 mark.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iG4fIor1hy4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Yes. Osterman and all elite pitchers (including Mrs. HE) throw with IR. No exceptions.

I certainly hope not. Osterman has beautiful 11/5 spin on her riseball as is shown in numerous videos, including the one below at around the 1:00 mark.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iG4fIor1hy4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You are absolutely right. In addition to this one, there were some very good high speed camera slo motion shots from last years NPF championship. The hitters were clearly laying off her downballs so she threw a lot more risers than usual. One slo mo clip was really nice and it showed a lot of backspin in it. Not perfect, but as close to perfect as any female FP pitcher I have seen. I didn't have a good way to grab it, I think I tried but my frame grabber blurred it too much, on the HD tv is was awesome. Cat absolutely does not throw a bullet spin riseball. Ueno does, many others do but Cat's is the real deal.

Jun 18, 2010
Osorio Rise

osorio_rise_back_zpsela5edon.gif

osorio_rise_side_zpsbmlyqapi.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi