Riseball videos .... please contribute riseball videos.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
any video of a good low rise out there?? these were all up.

Now when you mention "low rise," we need to remember you are not talking about low-to-high pitch. You are talking about a ball with tight backspin that comes in, like low inside, but the batter thought it was going to drop lower than it did from its original trajectory. I love this pitch low and to the inside corner of the strike zone. And, in my opinion, I think it's a great place to throw it when learning the backspin, as young pitchers tend to throw it way too high at first.

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
in one of those kir oregon videos knightsb posted, coach white mentions that the pitcher from the previous game ( a loss i think) was the first they had seen with a good low rise

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO

BH_3812.gif

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Can't say how many times I've watched Hillhouse's video. Things that stood out to me:
-Pitch selection
-Commentator's knowledge of the game
-The high drop
-The low rise
-Pitch selection... (did I mention how impressed I was with the pitch selection?)
-How many times his catcher had difficulty catching the ball
-How much I wish ESPN would show more Men's International FP....

Last edited:
May 26, 2013
Ramstein Germany
I saw an interview with Cat where she says she throws a bullet spin rise ball, to quote her..."That's just how I was taught." Which is somewhat comical because in her pitching videos with Team USA she demos a more traditional rise ball spin. Another one of the greats teaching what she doesn't do.

All of these clips reminded me of a quote from Nolan Ryan about his fastball, he explained that his fastball is only as effective as his curve ball...they work in tandem. He went on to claim all of his no-hitters were actually by-products of great control over his curve ball that day; he always has control of his fastball. The delivery is exactly the same for both pitches and by the time a batter figured out which one is which it was too late. I'd imagine the same is true for a good drop ball/rise ball pitcher. The effectiveness of one only enhances the other. I'm sure if a girl could throw both for location and had a nice CU that's all she'd need to fool batters at almost any level.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I saw an interview with Cat where she says she throws a bullet spin rise ball, to quote her..."That's just how I was taught." Which is somewhat comical because in her pitching videos with Team USA she demos a more traditional rise ball spin. Another one of the greats teaching what she doesn't do.

I have heard her refer to her fastball as bullet spin but never her rise, she has EXCELLENT riseball spin. see the 1:36 mark

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket

All of these clips reminded me of a quote from Nolan Ryan about his fastball, he explained that his fastball is only as effective as his curve ball...they work in tandem. He went on to claim all of his no-hitters were actually by-products of great control over his curve ball that day; he always has control of his fastball. The delivery is exactly the same for both pitches and by the time a batter figured out which one is which it was too late. I'd imagine the same is true for a good drop ball/rise ball pitcher. The effectiveness of one only enhances the other. I'm sure if a girl could throw both for location and had a nice CU that's all she'd need to fool batters at almost any level.

Interesting.... She definitely taught my DD to work to get 6 to 12 spin on the riseball

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi