Riseball spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Pobguy .... question regarding your program.

For a back-spin of 25rps, I would enter WB=1500, WS=0 and WG=0. Correct?

For a bullet-spin of 25rps, I would enter WB=0, WS=0 and WG=1500. Correct?

What would the entries be for a ball half-way between a true back-spin and true bullet-spin with a spin-rate of 25rps?

pobguy

Physics & Baseball
Feb 21, 2014
Pobguy .... question regarding your program.

For a back-spin of 25rps, I would enter WB=1500, WS=0 and WG=0. Correct? YES

For a bullet-spin of 25rps, I would enter WB=0, WS=0 and WG=1500. Correct? YES

What would the entries be for a ball half-way between a true back-spin and true bullet-spin with a spin-rate of 25rps?

Very good question. Note that Total spin = sqrt(wb^2+ws^2+wg^2). So if you want wb=wg (and ws=0) and total spin to be 25 rps (1500 rpm), set wb=wg=1061 rpm (which is 1500/sqrt(2)). It is the total spin that a device like RevFire measures.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Very good question. Note that Total spin = sqrt(wb^2+ws^2+wg^2). So if you want wb=wg (and ws=0) and total spin to be 25 rps (1500 rpm), set wb=wg=1061 rpm (which is 1500/sqrt(2)). It is the total spin that a device like RevFire measures.

Thank you Pobguy.

What I am finding is having me view things differently. This program of yours is truly an eye opener.

It appears that in order to replicate the pitch profiles that I've seen, some degree of back-spin is necessary. Sure, I can duplicate the basic profile of a riseball without back-spin by adjusting the release angle, but I'd end up throwing it above a legit strike-zone. To throw a border-line strike, with a rise-ball profile, your program requires some degree of back-spin.

The square-root relationship makes sense.

I need to head to the cages tonight. I'll work with your program later this evening. I'm truly enjoying it.

pobguy

Physics & Baseball
Feb 21, 2014
Thank you Pobguy.

What I am finding is having me view things differently. This program of yours is truly an eye opener....
I need to head to the cages tonight. I'll work with your program later this evening. I'm truly enjoying it.
I am happy that someone besides geeks like me find it useful. Keep us posted on what you learn.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I am happy that someone besides geeks like me find it useful. Keep us posted on what you learn.

I'm still playing with the program. Simply finding it fascinating.

One thing I've concluded is that the faster one can throw, the greater the degree of bullet-spin that one can get away with and still obtain a riseball profile thrown for a legit strike. On the flip side, the slower you throw, the more important it is to obtain a higher degree of back-spin.

Now I really need to head out. Thank you!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Not to change the subject, but some of you might have some fun reading my analysis of the Hunter Pence "triple double" from the 2012 NLCS. See Hunter Pence's "Triple Double". Pete Kozma, the Cards shortshop, anticipate that the batted ball would be spinning in a certain way (the usual way, actually) and moved accordingly. The ball had exactly the opposite spin, however, so it broke in the other direction. It was a fun analysis to do.

That's an awesome video clip and pretty cool analysis! The data presented re hit ball trajectories support the teaching of players the rule of thumb that hit balls tend to slice toward the nearest foul line (wind effects discounted).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55