Rip It Facemask Mod

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 12, 2011
Vienna, VA
For those of you who have or are thinking of getting a Rip-It facemask we've found that it's very easy to lose the chin pad. The velcro loses it's effectiveness after a while. The good news is that Rip It sent me a new pad for free after we lost one. To prevent it from happening again I made a hole in the foam pad and used a nylon zip tie to loosely attach it. DD can still adjust the pad but hopefully it won't get lost again.

IMG_20110911_161830.jpg

Schutt makes a similar mask and it looks to me like the pad is better attached. It still uses velcro but it looks like it might be easy to replace the velcro when necessary.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
That's funny, we've had the same mask for a couple years and had the same problem. My wife sewed on a piece of nylon to attach the chin piece. I like the zip-tie though, it looks like it was meant to be there.

Jul 28, 2008
My DD lost her chin pad a month ago. I grabbed the one from her Gameface and it worked MUCH better. It actually sticks to the Velcro. Rip-It has addressed this problem and now has better chin-straps.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I had the same issue. I was really ticked off when this started happening after a month of using it. I was sold on Rip It by the service I recieved after emailing them. About a week later I recieved a package of pads and straps that replace everything on the mask. I needed the chin pad but got everything.

They must have changed something. We started using the new pad in July and have had zero issues.

Apr 1, 2010
My daughter's chin pad got lost too. That darn thing never did stay on well. I emailed them in late August and they said they were out of the replacement chin pads but they'd send the kit with the chin pad. However, that was several weeks ago and it hasn't arrived yet. I guess maybe they ran out of the kits too.

I was very impressed with Rip-It also when they offered to send me the kit, but now that the kid's been through two tournaments and many practices without it arriving, I'm back to being mad.

I'm thinking of trying to make a temporary pad and tape it on...or something like that, but if it looks too geeky or doesn't feel good, I know she won't wear it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06