Reverse Hanson Principle at work

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Just had to share this with y'all. I believe I mentioned in another thread about a would-be hitting coach for a travel team I know teaching some really crazy stuff. Claimed he got it from the HC at Georgia. Problem is what he was teaching was messing up the team's hitters, and the other coaches weren't happy about it.

Finally the guy was asked to produce evidence that elite hitters did what he was telling the girls to do. He sent some photos or videos of hitters at U of GA to defend his position to the other coaches. Only none of the photos or videos supported what he said.

One of the other coaches asked him about it and why he sent those videos when clearly they worked against him. He didn't really have an answer. I get a couple of things from this.

One is that calling yourself a hitting coach doesn't make you one, any more than calling yourself an astronaut means you work for NASA. For you parents out there, beware of who you trust your daughters to.

The other is if you're going to use video to support your position, make sure it actually supports your position. Otherwise people are just going to shake their heads and wonder what's up with you.

Happy ending: the guy has been told to either stop teaching this goofy stuff or don't coach anymore. He's promised to stop. We'll see.

Dec 3, 2012
Sydney Australia
I think sometimes people get so blinded by an idea that they literally can't see the fault in it. Usually it means they don't totally understand what was told or shown to them so they bluff the rest, after a while they start to believe their own bluff.
If reading the posts here has taught me anything it's to take everything I'm told and test it against what I see in game videos, then try it out myself to see if the drill, movement or action feels right. Then if everything seems true I re read, re watch and re test until I am comfortable passing the knowledge to my DD in a way she will understand.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I think sometimes people get so blinded by an idea that they literally can't see the fault in it. Usually it means they don't totally understand what was told or shown to them so they bluff the rest, after a while they start to believe their own bluff.
If reading the posts here has taught me anything it's to take everything I'm told and test it against what I see in game videos, then try it out myself to see if the drill, movement or action feels right. Then if everything seems true I re read, re watch and re test until I am comfortable passing the knowledge to my DD in a way she will understand.

You're doing it right!

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
One thing I've learned on here as well is that three people with completely different ideas can all look at the same clip of Pujols and claim it proves their point. I've overused the expression, but it really can be a Rorschach test.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Guero ... it is true that there are people that will tend to see what they wish to see ... but there are also many truth seekers that do their best to remain objective.

I remember taking a video of a hitter that made nice contact, and in the background there was a voice that exclaimed "what a nice level swing". The video however told a different story of a 'diagonal barrel' through contact. There really was no mistaking the video.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I am always amazed that there are 6-8 hitting experts behind the fence for every game we have played....

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Want to be a hitting coach?

Wave your favorite bat over your head 3x's clockwise while spinning your body around counter clockwise 3x's screaming out Ted Williams name at the top of your lungs and SHAZAM! you are now a hitting coach! WOOOOOOOT! Damn...if only becoming a brain surgeon was THAT easy ;)

OK all kidding aside...

To your point about NASA and hitting coaches I am always leery about self proclaimed "experts." There is a reason why none of my TB girls only see an outside coach. They work with me or my assistant coach for lessons. My previous experience with expert "HC's" has been nothing but disastrous.

My 2 cents -
a) bad on the head coach for letting this joker "in" without seeing what he taught before exposing his/her team too them.
b) to me, this is not the reverse Hanson principle at work, this is THE Hanson principle at work.

edit for stupid emojis

CP

Jan 25, 2011
Want to be a hitting coach?

Wave your favorite bat over your head 3x's clockwise while spinning your body around counter clockwise 3x's screaming out Ted Williams name at the top of your lungs and SHAZAM! you are now a hitting coach! WOOOOOOOT! Damn...if only becoming a brain surgeon was THAT easy ;)

OK all kidding aside...

To your point about NASA and hitting coaches I am always leery about self proclaimed "experts." There is a reason why none of my TB girls only see an outside coach. They work with me or my assistant coach for lessons. My previous experience with expert "HC's" has been nothing but disastrous.

My 2 cents -
a) bad on the head coach for letting this joker "in" without seeing what he taught before exposing his/her team too them.
b) to me, this is not the reverse Hanson principle at work, this is THE Hanson principle at work.

edit for stupid emojis

CP
Boy, did you read your own post. What makes you think you or AC, know anymore then a "expert HC". Not trying to start something here, but since you put down loc. of western New York, and I'm near there, I was wondering what TB team you coach, maybe we will run into each other and I can see for myself, your hitting experience?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1