Requiring Facemask for pitchers... Possible league policy... THoughts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 7, 2013
My son plays little league and for the most part these players are not any better than the girls and the ball is harder gets hit harder and I've never seen a player wear a mask. A few wear when they bat but very few. It's a flaw in the girls game that I see.

Having coached PONY baseball for several years, the reason the boys don't wear facemasks and cages on their batting helmets is because adult males coach these teams "when we were kids, we didn't need a mask..." and the college players and MLB are too "macho" to wear them. This same mindset permeates into softball. I have seen several baseball batters get hit in the face because they were not wearing a cage and it wasn't pretty. And then you will occasionally see an inconspicuous padded helmet worn under the baseball cap (presumedly to protect the top of the head from concussions????) but god forbid a pitcher actually wears a face mask on the mound.

The "old school" mentality of no masks for fielders and no cages on batting helmets needs to be reevaluted. These hot, composite bats and better conditioned athletes in both baseball and softball can do some serious, disfiguring damage to the face. While softball has been slow to adopt fielding masks, baseball safety masks is going at a snails pace.

Jul 24, 2013
my current thoughts, were to require it for pitchers. Recommend they wear it all the time to get used to it... but required during pitching to live batters... I hadnt thuoght about approving only certain ones. Most have the rip it or game face...

In the end, this is why I have a board with a dozen people!

May 6, 2015
our league mandated them for pitchers in our division at least (rec LL minors, 10u), and supplied each team with one. all but one of my pitchers had their own, so unless this girl was pitching, I had my 1B wear it (they receive the most thrown balls).

I think it is good idea and I reccomend them to all my parents/players regardless of position. I think with younger ones it really helps them to not turn/back away from thrown balls, which is biggest issue at younger levels.

also, masks on batting helmets being mandatory is going to come to youth baseball and softball eventually. that is how you get rid of the macho aversion, mandate it, then no one can be ridiculed for having it. a lot like helmets in NHL (and I expect within 10 years face sheilds/guards will be mandatory there as well after some of the horrific eye injuries).

my girls (12 and 9) currently wear masks wherever they play and I make them practice with them as well, regardless (practice like you play). Trying to convince their mother to allow them not to wear it in OF, as there I think it is unnecessary, and I think is hindering my 12 year old juding fly balls (she routinely comes up too much, and has to reach way up and back).

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
JMHO opinion but I like the masks being worn. I've seen too many players at all ages and skill levels, including college players take a shot to the face on a line drive or bad hop. Heck, our 18 YO HS pitcher took 2 to the face mask this year alone and has been playing TB since she was 11 and going to play at a smaller D1. I'd hate to see the damage if she hadn't had one on.

That said, I don't agree with mandating them especially at the older ages. Too much of society is already regulated beyond what many of us would consider reasonable deterrents/precautions and it's only getting worse as the governing bodies and politicians have knee jerk reactions to public opinion based on a few incidents or even a single one. Show the families videos or pictures of the consequences of not wearing one and leave it up to the parents and players. Then if they choose not to have their child wear one, have them sign a release of liability to drive the point home.

May 16, 2016
Our REC league requires all players use either a protective mask or a mouth guard. Basically 100% opt for the mask. Occasionally, you'll see a new player using the mouth-guard... but after a practice or two of trying to keep up with one, and keep it somewhat clean, they all switch to the mask.

This is required through 12U. 16U and up, only infielders are required to use a mask or mouth guard. I think giving players a choice between mouth-guard or mask, distributes the responsibility if a mask should fail to protect a player. I think it's important in younger leagues to require masks/mouthpiece for ALL players, as it's probably more common for a young outfielder to take a misjudged fly ball to the face, then an infielder takes a line drive to the face.

Our league provides a team mask in the equipment bag, but that is really just used if a player should forget/lose their own mask. Forget about litigation, and just do what you think is right.

Last edited:

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Hey all,

President of my local rec league 250 ish girls in spring. Our goal first and foremost as a REC league is FUN, Safety, softball love, and development... followed by winning somewhere at the end...

I am pondering policy proposals to require pitchers to wear a facemask. 3rd base POSSIBLY... but pitchers for sure. My local GSSA boss lady says it hasnt happened nationally for youth purely due to litigation fears... that if they require the mask, if a girl is hurt while wearing it they will sue... which I think is pu**y.

I just cant think of a good reason for pitchers that this isnt required. Stud defensive player or not, a pitcher cannot react and defend her grill or melon from a comebacker... we have all seen the videos.. and that is mostly older kids that are developed defensively.. a 10 year old...? cmon.

The league will provide each team one for team use... do a bulk order to cut the price for the kids who want their own..

So. Why should I NOT do this?

Appreciate any insight!

Show your parents and league this video. The pitcher of this team didn't even bring her facemask to games because she said it looked silly and she ended up leaving it at home. So our coach got a facemask from one of our players and let the pitcher borrow it. Video shows what happened

Pitcher played the rest of the game, and went to fall asleep in her own bed that night. Not a HOSPITAL bed.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Show your parents and league this video. The pitcher of this team didn't even bring her facemask to games because she said it looked silly and she ended up leaving it at home. So our coach got a facemask from one of our players and let the pitcher borrow it. Video shows what happened

Pitcher played the rest of the game, and went to fall asleep in her own bed that night. Not a HOSPITAL bed.

This way you will not have to worry about a rule, since some who view the video will switch their kids to soccer. Great idea if your plan is to scare the crap out of parents, but not so if you are trying to build a REC program. Tactics likes these have been proven to be ineffective and often counterproductive.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
This way you will not have to worry about a rule, since some who view the video will switch their kids to soccer. Great idea if your plan is to scare the crap out of parents, but not so if you are trying to build a REC program. Tactics likes these have been proven to be ineffective and often counterproductive.

Or some would say "yea good idea, let me invest in a facemask".

If you approach it as a scare tactic, then yea lil Suzy is jumping to soccer. But I can show you "kicks to the face" videos all day long too. Point I'm making is in any sport, accidents can occur.

Jun 11, 2013
Should we also make heart guards mandatory. How many concussions happened last year because players collided? Would it be safer to just have fielders wear helmets? On the subject of safety, how many of of have home fields that are not in very good shape. We travel to some very bad one some time. I actually worry about blowing out a knee more than getting hit. I really think that coaches should push the younger kids to start wearing them, but at some point when you play a sport you put yourself in danger.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Or some would say "yea good idea, let me invest in a facemask".

If you approach it as a scare tactic, then yea lil Suzy is jumping to soccer. But I can show you "kicks to the face" videos all day long too. Point I'm making is in any sport, accidents can occur.

I would consider getting a vendor to show up at registration with some great masks in various colors offering a 1 time steep discount. Increase your registration fee by $10 and subsidize the purchase of the mask so it is a great deal. Then if they decline to wear a mask then have them sign a waiver stating they understand the risks and accept full responsibility. The best way to get someone to take a specific course of action is via incentive, not a mandate. Most parents will come around.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad