Ran into an interesting guy at the fields

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
That's way better than him giving you his business card after her first batter and saying, "Your daughter has real promise. I can get her to point that elbow at her target, and she will be throwing strikes in no time".

There was one that approached my students parents at tournaments and when he gave them his card promised them 5mph after one lesson.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
JJS -

I wonder how many parents of aspiring pitchers (or hitters) have had similar experiences that tried to derail all the good advice taught by their instructors. That is why it is vitally important that parents educate themselves on proper mechanics and share this information with their kids and other players so they can handle the situation if and when the parent is not there.

One of my pitchers picked up to play on another leagues team during the fall since her town didn't have enough to form a team. "Pitching coach" for her new team was the grandfather of the teams other pitcher. He told her she needed to finish hello elbow, slam the door and take 2 steps forward toward the catcher when she was done.
She told him she was already seeing a PC but he was insistent.

One day we were at the park practicing and she says, "That's him!", then this guy walks up and starts correcting her right in the middle of my class! I couldn't believe it.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
One of my pitchers picked up to play on another leagues team during the fall since her town didn't have enough to form a team. "Pitching coach" for her new team was the grandfather of the teams other pitcher. He told her she needed to finish hello elbow, slam the door and take 2 steps forward toward the catcher when she was done.
She told him she was already seeing a PC but he was insistent.

One day we were at the park practicing and she says, "That's him!", then this guy walks up and starts correcting her right in the middle of my class! I couldn't believe it.

Ohhh I love those!! I get the occasionall onlooker during DDs warmups that like to " just help". DD doesn't typically start throwing full speed until the last 10 or 15 minutes of her warmups. I get the "she could throw a lot harder if she would quit rolling out from under the ball and snap her wrist harder." I usually politely nod and tell DD to go full speed. That usually shuts them up.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Rec leagues are notorious for giving bad advice such as "squish the bug", "hit down on the ball", "level swing", "keep you weight on the back foot",

Darn then I'm that interesting guy (Ran into an interesting guy at the fields). When I hear these comments...I just start correcting....I can't help myself.
dos-equis-most-interesting-guy-in-the-world-300x300.jpeg

Oct 19, 2009
I met a guy a few weeks ago, he was a fast-pitch pitcher in the old days. He pitched for the Navy and played against Eddie Feigner with the Kind and His Court, or so he said. He saw a screen saver on my computer of DD pitching in a game and we began talking, he had to be in his late 80's or 90's

One nice thing about softball is the people you get to meet.

Oct 22, 2009
Darn then I'm that interesting guy (Ran into an interesting guy at the fields). When I hear these comments...I just start correcting....I can't help myself.
dos-equis-most-interesting-guy-in-the-world-300x300.jpeg

I don't always correct pitchers, but when I do, I make sure their pitching coach disapproves.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez