Question about a coaching style

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
There are two things I make them run sprints for. The first is for not using two hands when catching the ball.

Good point by chinamigarden.

It's good to catch the ball with two hands if you're able to get in front of the ball. Otherwise, catching with two hands can limit your range. I've taught to stop catching with two hands on certain plays. Running catches in the outfield should almost always be caught w/ one hand, IMO.

May 17, 2012
You have them run for not using 2 hands to catch the ball? What about when using 1 hand is the proper way? I like to see 2 hands but who gets to decide when 1 is correct?

Call me crazy but I would say the coach gets to decide how things are done on their team.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
A great deal depends upon "how far" the child runs. If it to a base and back again, I don't see a problem. If the coach is having the child do two laps around the field, then that might be a problem.

From my years of playing and when I did coach, I found that positive reinforcement worked better than being negative.
Depends upon the child and the situation.

Positive reinforcement works sometimes and negative reinforcement works sometimes. If you take Suzy out of the game and put in Sally, then there is negative reinforcement for Suzy but positive reinforcement for Sally. Sometimes Suzy plays better next time, sometimes sally does.

Please give input whether you agree or disagree and advice on how I should approach this situation is greatly appreciated.

Unless you child is in danger, nothing.

The world is imperfect, life is imperfect, people are imperfect. At some point, your child has to learn to deal with unpleasant situations on her own.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In my experience the coaching style of "positive" vs. "negative" reinforcement changes as the girls get older and when they start playing higher level TB. Two years ago my DD was playing A-level TB, then played middle school ball for a coach who was a low-B TB coach. The "candy azz" practices and coaching style drove my DD and several other A-level TB players nuts.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Call me crazy but I would say the coach gets to decide how things are done on their team.

This is why TB is so much better than HS ball.....you can search out a TB team whose coaching "philosophy" matches your expectations. In HS ball you are stuck with the coach unless you are willing to move or change schools.

Jan 12, 2013
You have them run for not using 2 hands to catch the ball? What about when using 1 hand is the proper way? I like to see 2 hands but who gets to decide when 1 is correct?

Chinamigarden- I agree. The only time you should be using two hands is if the ball is directly to you (chest) or a ground ball you can field in the center of your body. Otherwise, forehands and backhands should be done with one hand. If you use two hands all the time you are limiting your reach.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In my experience the coaching style of "positive" vs. "negative" reinforcement changes as the girls get older and when they start playing higher level TB. Two years ago my DD was playing A-level TB, then played middle school ball for a coach who was a low-B TB coach. The "candy azz" practices and coaching style drove my DD and several other A-level TB players nuts.

For clarification - "Candy azz" does not necessarily equate to physical punishment. If a girl is playing B-level TB (no physical punishment) and goes back to a REC team, the practices are going to seem "candy azz" because of the expectation and intensity level of the coaches, not because of the amount of running or the number of push ups they do.

Feb 25, 2013

Thanks for your input. This is kind of my feeling as well to a point. The coach's, especially volunteer coach's, need to be able to run their practices without having parents griping about this or that. This issue is not something that I see as a major problem, other than I feel like it damages the team. Not sure how many of you play golf, but it is the same thing when you step to a shot that is over water or some other type of hazard. If you think "do not...." instead of concentrating on "do hit it....." then more often than not you have a better outcome.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
THis is high school not travel ball and for those who coach in both they are like apples to oranges. 1. Did this coach deal with boys as a coach? 2. Politics in high school with parents is a toucy situaiton. If they AD gets complaints this coach is toast! There is a fine line of running for punishment or education. Plus what works for boys will not work with girls. Some find that out early some too late! I have done travel ball and high school for 12 plus years and coach both differently. Amy posted be careful how you deal with it, but I always suggest talking to the coach first.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Thanks for your input. This is kind of my feeling as well to a point. The coach's, especially volunteer coach's, need to be able to run their practices without having parents griping about this or that. This issue is not something that I see as a major problem, other than I feel like it damages the team. Not sure how many of you play golf, but it is the same thing when you step to a shot that is over water or some other type of hazard. If you think "do not...." instead of concentrating on "do hit it....." then more often than not you have a better outcome.

Mental toughness is a huge component of any competitive sport.....how players should develop mental toughness is obviously up for debate! LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01