Question about a coaching style

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2013
I do not believe you have to be a disciplinarian to be a high level TB coach. The girls who play on my DD's TB team know what the coaches expect from them at practice and in games. If during practice she boots a ball or makes a bad throw our girls don't run, they ask the coach if they can take another grounder and do it correctly.

Jan 25, 2011
I do not believe you have to be a disciplinarian to be a high level TB coach. The girls who play on my DD's TB team know what the coaches expect from them at practice and in games. If during practice she boots a ball or makes a bad throw our girls don't run, they ask the coach if they can take another grounder and do it correctly.
You get the great answer of the day in my book.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
This is why I say many coaches manage. Not coach. Last I checked you use your feet as a part of transitioning into your throw. However Your feet are not holding the ball. Not sure what running does for throwing?

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
I am not a believer in using something as a punishment and as a central part of practice. Assuming that nearly all teams using running and other physical activities as an important part of practice making them a punishment at one time and an important activity at another is contradictory. I don't really get into punishing kids for making mistakes; I want them to put the mistakes behind them and move on. If they are not focused, that is a different situation. That requires a punishment and removal from the drill or game is pretty darn effective. There is a great drill where if you make a fielding mistake a teammate takes your spot. Do it right you stay in, do it wrong and you get to watch your teammate try to do it right.

Great point! Most TB players know what is expected of them, and expect it of themselves as well.
One problem with school ball is this: we get a lot of girls (they may not all qualify as players yet) coming out of Rec/Daddy Ball and they have the idea that "good enough" is the goal.
I can't really comment on the OP. All I can really say is that sometimes coaches may have to employ a "wake up" strategy. I am not defending the coach, I myself very rarely use running as an attention getter. As a teacher I have learned, if the same mistake keeps happening, and I can keep reacting to it in the same way, I am the one who needs to change tactics.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Great point! Most TB players know what is expected of them, and expect it of themselves as well.
One problem with school ball is this: we get a lot of girls (they may not all qualify as players yet) coming out of Rec/Daddy Ball and they have the idea that "good enough" is the goal
I can't really comment on the OP. All I can really say is that sometimes coaches may have to employ a "wake up" strategy. I am not defending the coach, I myself very rarely use running as an attention getter. As a teacher I have learned, if the same mistake keeps happening, and I can keep reacting to it in the same way, I am the one who needs to change tactics.

There are no specific talents or abilities universally attributable to travel or HS ball coaches. No doubt that its the coaching that sets the stage for player expectations, accountability, and development, but, IME, good coaches and bad coaches are found in travel ball and high school alike. Seems that people are reluctant to give credit or place blame where and when they are merited, but find it easier to continue promoting generalized stereotypes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207