Pumping hands before going thru the zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2008
My daughter is 15 playing 18u B. She is a pretty decent hitter. Can hit the junk ball pitchers and can hit the decent speed pitchers very well. But she struggles a little bit with the quicker pitchers. I noticed that as she starts her swing she tends to pumps her hands. Now even when she does that she swings pretty good. She is second on her team with extra base hits, so she has pretty good power. I just dont know how to fix her pumping her hands when she starts her swing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
Often times, players have triggers for their swing and this sounds like her trigger. IF she is successful pumping her hands on slower and junk pitches, then for ME it sounds just like a timing issue. More importantly, is she getting her front foot down to heel plant intime to turn on the pitches or is she late and rushing her swing? (contact deeper in the plate then should be??)

May 12, 2008
Would have to see a clip but some of the world's great hitters pump their hands right before they rotate. Look through here and see if you see anything that resembles your DD. Analysis

Nov 14, 2008
didnt really see anything like her on the slides

Against the junk pitches and pitchers with decent speed she generally hits dead center or left center. The faster pitchers she is to right field or weak ground balls. I will say she does "maintain the box" pretty well. Which goes against her high school coaching. They like the casting method which I thinkis just horrrible. Hence why her high school team doesnt hit....lol

Jul 14, 2008
I'm assuming you mean pumping the hands down and up like this?

2zi585v.gif

If it is, it's a good thing.......Holding the topside back against the bottom side as the bottom side opens during the stride........

Against the junk pitches and pitchers with decent speed she generally hits dead center or left center. The faster pitchers she is to right field or weak ground balls. I will say she does "maintain the box" pretty well. Which goes against her high school coaching. They like the casting method which I thinkis just horrrible. Hence why her high school team doesnt hit....lol

Sep 11, 2008
caifornia
basically if the pump of the hands is causing a problem in your DD's swing, then it is a hitch and needs to be fixed. i used to pump once, then pause and swing or pause and reload and swing. however, if she has no problem in her swing, then it is a trigger, which is good. this came straight from cincinnati reds scout.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves