Pre game warm up?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 23, 2014
I would love to know what Your DD's do for pre-game warmup. I figure if we get some examples I can give my dd some options so that she can figure out what best gets her ready. Thanks a bunch!

Jul 4, 2012
Stretches with team. Does dynamic warmup with team. Throws overhand and underhand to standing catcher mixing over/under every other throw. Moves in to 12 feet or so and works IR from k-drill. Backs up and increases effort and ends up with liberty drill from just shy of 40 feet. Then goes parallel (both hands out front with full circle and stride). Then walk thrus starting slightly behind and where the drive foot pushes from rubber. Then goes live. If everything goes well on time, she'll go back through quickly with the change and drop finishing with rotating through the three pitches to locations.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My DD does the following.

- 'W' drill (sometimes known as K drill or T drill) - basically the end of the motion from about 3/4 distance
- 3-point drill (goes through step by step the three parts of the pitch - for her this helps her get 'stacked' correctly and to remember to lead with a high knee before opening up).
- 2-point (stacked, pause then through or walkthroughs) My DD has issues getting stacked properly :)
- Full pitch until happy with location/speed
- Changeup until happy with location/speed
- Drop until happy with locaton/speed
- Mix pitches until she feels she is warm

The other pitcher on our team stretches, throws full motion about 20-30 pitches and 1 changeup, says she is warm and heads to the dugout.

Jan 17, 2013
Texas
After team jog and stretch/warm up, then to arm stretches (various stretching and hanging arm circles), stretchy band exercises, next to overhand throw, then Ks (but starting at about 25ft, my daughter would take my head off at 12ft), circle Ks (hillhouse), walk through, then full pitch. For games we shorten up the time for each step so not to wear her out before the game.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
the more I look at the 3 step ones, the more I think it is for show and the speed is almost always way more than their regular pitch speed.

I like the 3 step as part of the warmup routine specifically for this reason, it reminds a pitcher how much gas they actually can throw and give them a feeling for going all out on a pitch. I find that with it DD throws her regular pitches faster than when she does not do it. I encourage her to do it for her first 2 warmup pitches every inning as well.

Feb 7, 2013
DD's routine is about 20 mins:

- overhand throws
- T drills
- 45's (stands 45 degrees from target and windmill only working on spin)
- Walk-thrus from behind the pitching
- Full pitching from pitching plate working about 8 - 12 pitches each on fastball; screwball; curveball; riseball; drop ball; and Change-up.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
If it's high school ball, odds are that you'll be given only about 1/4 the time you'll need to warm-up, if you get to warm up at all.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
If it's high school ball, odds are that you'll be given only about 1/4 the time you'll need to warm-up, if you get to warm up at all.

Absolutely... What I do with my HS age girls when they are freshman is to tell them to show up to a lesson, but do not start to warm up. I will sit down with the girl and explain their bus arriving at the field at an away game 15 minutes before game time. Now she needs to have a quick warmup routine in place in case she is ever caught in that situation.

I have the pitcher figure out what she thinks she needs to do for a quick warmup and then start from there. Each girl is different and I do it a couple more times tweaking it till the girl feels confident she would be able to step into the circle under those circumstances.

No Surprises!!!

Following is a sample Dynamic warm up that will get players ready to perform with more power and strength.

arm circles 10 – 15 sec. (1 in each direction)
straight leg kicks 30′ X 2
leg swings 10 – 15 sec. (each leg)
high knee walk – 30′ X 2 (touch ankles)
butt kickers – 30′ X 2
lunge walk – forward / backward

sprints
25% for 60′
50% for 60′
75% for 60′
100% for 60'

- Throwing starting close then increasing distance as arms are warm.
- ground balls / fly balls
- soft toss or hitting tees

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Following is a sample Dynamic warm up that will get players ready to perform with more power and strength.

arm circles 10 – 15 sec. (1 in each direction)
straight leg kicks 30′ X 2
leg swings 10 – 15 sec. (each leg)
high knee walk – 30′ X 2 (touch ankles)
butt kickers – 30′ X 2
lunge walk – forward / backward

sprints
25% for 60′
50% for 60′
75% for 60′
100% for 60'

- Throwing starting close then increasing distance as arms are warm.
- ground balls / fly balls
- soft toss or hitting tees

I think the OP is referring to warmups for pitchers, which would be in addition to the list you compiled (a good one, IMO).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207