Practices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It has nothing to do with sexual assaults and everything to do with letting them become their own persons. Parents in the stands at all practices is a distraction, unless they're just paranoid about something.

Sorry, the smart a$$ just leaps out of me when people start making everything-nothing claims that can't possibly be factual in nature.

Maybe that will play up in Columbus, but down in Central Florida it is another world. There is a reason we have over 1 million concealed weapons holders as trust is a luxury we cannot afford. Count yourself lucky my DD#4 is nineteen years old and living 300 miles away at college so the house is empty. Were I to have 4 young kids today there is no way I would raise kids here.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Maybe that will play up in Columbus, but down in Central Florida it is another world. There is a reason we have over 1 million concealed weapons holders as trust is a luxury we cannot afford. Count yourself lucky my DD#4 is nineteen years old and living 300 miles away at college so the house is empty. Were I to have 4 young kids today there is no way I would raise kids here.

You missed the point. Obviously we as parents need to be concerned about these things, but to say it's the only thing that matters is ridiculous. If DD decides to play school ball, I will certainly make sure to investigate the coaching staff, and meet them all. I will also have faith that I've raised her well enough that she knows to leave a sketchy situation.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You missed the point. Obviously we as parents need to be concerned about these things, but to say it's the only thing that matters is ridiculous. If DD decides to play school ball, I will certainly make sure to investigate the coaching staff, and meet them all. I will also have faith that I've raised her well enough that she knows to leave a sketchy situation.

Never said it was the only thing, I said Safety is paramount... meaning it was the primary concern for attending. You disagree?

Sep 17, 2009
Riseball seems to have some serious concerns, as a parent I can understand and sympathize....

Just wanted to share a lighter note: my fellow coach/dad and I went to my older DDs first high school indoor practice almost a decade ago now...we'd coached both our girls every game/practice up to that point. The cafeteria was on the second floor above the gym with windows overlooking. We watched and tried to be discrete, we thought. Turned out we were high comedy for all the girls and coaches, we embarrassed our freshman DDs and it took us four years to live it down....I've learned not to be a helicopter parent/coach with my younger DD and don't sit with the rest of the gents who spend high school games complaining about this and that....I just sit and watch with a smile : )

If you feel comfortable and can give your high school age girls some room to be independent, it's a good thing....it's not even the worst thing in the world if the coaches aren't the best (as long as they are harmless, if not, then...not so much)

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Never said it was the only thing, I said Safety is paramount... meaning it was the primary concern for attending. You disagree?

What you said:

It has nothing to do with the independence of minor children. It has everything to do with keeping coaches from sexually assaulting players. Parents in the stands at all practices is a good thing. Unless someone has something to hide.

Primary concern, sure, I can go with that. Definitely top 3 at least. It's the whole everything/nothing claims that I take issue with, that's all.

Last edited:
As a coach for a 16U team I think the parents should stay away of "ALL" practices.... Some parents can undermine the coaches thinking and game plan by critiquing what the girls are & have learned from the coaches, not to mention how some parents embarrass the players when they are there at practice. I also feel it relieves stress from the players while they are performing. We all seen the parents on the sidelines not always yelling but shaking there heads in disappointment or throwing their hands in the air, etc... This makes the players lose focus and are more concerned about making a mistake than relaxing and getting to the play in front of them. Parents really need to drop off there player, go home and comeback about 5 minutes before practice ends. Now in saying all of that above if you have a player that is young to the sport the coach may need your help (i.e. 6U, 8U) 10U and above disappear for the 2 hours and trust the coaches will do what they're supposed to do. But as a parent you should follow up with the coaches on an e-mail or text about what your daughter should be working on to improve. Just my opinion!!!!

Jun 1, 2013
Open.
I have 14u girls and there is no way I would close them. If I have a problem parent they will be dismissed. I make no bones about it in parent meeting. I am not going to make everyone happy, (I may not make anyone happy) if you disagree with me then come talk to me after practice. If I find out you are in the stands sewing seeds of discontent you will be asked to leave permanently. If you are uncomfortable with parents watching or attending then you should deal with your issues and not put it on the parents.
They pay the money, they provide the transportation, they raised the kid that is good enough to make your team, they may need to see her attitude/behavior during practice, they may see why she is only playing x amount of innings, and in this day in age we are suffering from parents being to inattentive to their kids in the 14u-18u range. Set the rules before season and make everyone abide by them, don't deny a parent the opportunity to watch their kid grow up.

Mar 21, 2013
Parents aren't typically a problem, boyfriends can be another story. Just remember, you get what you settle for.

Being in So Cal I totally disagree with this statement. Parents are indeed a huge problem! Many parents don't teach kids to deal with adverse situations, or what the parents deem adverse because their DD is not playing enough. Which is probably why some coaches contemplate closing practices to begin with. As stated I would be more concerned if practices were closed. Open the practices and set the ground rules early.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
I coach JV at a local private school and 16U for travel ball.

All my practices are open to parents to observe. I ask them to respect practice time by not interfering or yelling at their daughter/others. If there is a concern or question on how I manage my practices then save them for after practice. Parents are free to talk to me right after practice and 24 hrs after a game.

It is their children and they have every right to be curious or protective of them. I respect them for they chose the school I coach at or the TB team I coach. Now I do have parent meetings typically day after cuts have been made. I give them specific rules as spectators of practices/games and tell them how they act can effect their daughters position on my teams. They are allowed to cheer in a positive manner for both teams on the field and never make any negative comments to other team/umps/coaches or the other fans.

I nor my coaching staff have anything to hide but respectfully give us our distance when needed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi