Popularity of Softball in your state, gaining or losing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
..one of them was the Gatorade Player of the Year...

Ok, apologize in advance for the hijack or slight detour. Is it just me or has anyone noticed that this award for college bound softball players seems to be akin to the Heisman for players going to the NFL? Like their NFL brethren it is quite common for these players to ride the pine. Which only serves to further illustrate that a high level of success in High School or even TB means very little in a competitive higher level program.

Oct 25, 2009
Most will experience the Freshman to Senior progression. Great at HS or TB could translate into great at Junior-Senior levels.

May 13, 2012
Here in my part of TN numbers are holding but I feel they will start dropping. I think one culprit is TB. The girls that play TB and rec 12yr old and up are so much father along in skills that the 8week rec players are discourged and take up other sports where they get more play time. I can see it going full circle also as the other sports gain popularity more girls will take lessons etc. and leave behind the one that don't so back to SB.

Oct 25, 2009
It may become necessary to start promoting softball more aggressively. In our area, for example, the rec program signup deadline ends the middle of July and usually just do fill up. But actual practice/playing doesn't start until the Fall. Signups should be closer to actual participation in my opinion.

Jul 26, 2010
In California there is growth in the central (rural/farm) areas but decline in the urban/suburban areas. This is mostly tied with immigration and competition with male-dominated cultural sports for playing fields, like cricket. There is also rising popularity of LAX.

On the flip side, California has ruled that gender is a mental condition, a state of mind, and not tied to science or biology, and there are already several cases of boys playing HS softball. So there is potential for a larger player base as our culture becomes more gender neutral.

-W

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I've never been confused on my gender. Race yes...... Lol

Bty. Gaslamp was a blast

Glad you had a good time. I started an addition on my house this weekend and I am only capable of remembering one thing at a time and plumb forgot to ask the wife to get a sitter. I'm too bald for the gaslamp anyway. I'll catch you next time you get local down here though.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
In California there is growth in the central (rural/farm) areas but decline in the urban/suburban areas. This is mostly tied with immigration and competition with male-dominated cultural sports for playing fields, like cricket. There is also rising popularity of LAX.

On the flip side, California has ruled that gender is a mental condition, a state of mind, and not tied to science or biology, and there are already several cases of boys playing HS softball. So there is potential for a larger player base as our culture becomes more gender neutral.

-W

From what I have seen there is nothing preventing boys from playing girls fastpitch in any of the alphabets or High School. At some point activist morons are certain to go there. Talk about your proverbial can o' worms.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
From what I have seen there is nothing preventing boys from playing girls fastpitch in any of the alphabets or High School. At some point activist morons are certain to go there. Talk about your proverbial can o' worms.

I am old enough to remember the Rene Richards fiasco, back in the 1970s. I even knew the scientist who did the hormone test on RR, saying RR was a biological female. Blah.

As if the East German "women" weren't bad enough.

Not too long afterwards, a male tennis player made the comment that any of the top 100 men could beat any woman in the world. A reporter asked Chris Everett, who was ranked #1 for women, her opinion on such sexist garbage. She replied that her brother, not even in the top 100 men, beat her every time they played.

Or, how about this? My son hadn't run track in years. He ran a 100m race recently at an open track meet, and came in dead last place. His time was better than some of the women who made the semifinals at the 2012 London Olympics. Also, he never played baseball, but can hit the soft ball MUCH farther than his sisters.

I remember a former girlfriend of mine had run track at her university. I never ran track in my life. I challenged her to a race, and smoked her. She was stunned.

Nothing against trans-gendered folks, but as soon as you allow biological men to play women's sports, the biological females don't stand a chance.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877